Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

damper question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
riturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: damper question
    Posted: June-22-2017 at 10:00pm
Hey guys been a while since ive been on . One of the kids started the boat and the solenoid stuck and he drove home from a friends . LoL   so any way I need a starter, .solenoid . Ring gear , and a damper . The boat is a 1987    2001   . 351 motor . So been reading here about washers and lining up the plate . Some say no . Whats the real deal . Is there one I can get that just bolts on ? I need all the parts listed above . Need this stuff fast . Be happy to use a vendor here or what ever .Is there a place in new england that stocks this stuff .? I live in rhode island .

Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 11:35pm
I'll give you some numbers for things that can be cross referenced or you can get the parts I list

Starter
ARCO 70101 old style like you probably have or ARCO 70201 new style (takes a minor wiring change) The 70101 is discontinued but you can find plenty of starters that cross reference with that number.

These are CCW rotating MARINE starters which is what you need for your Reverse rotation 351w

Damper
ALTDA-106A from ebasicpower.com will bolt right on with no trimming or for a little less you can buy a DA-106 and trim it yourself. Cheap and high quality About 110 for the 106A or 80 for the 106 that needs to be trimmed

Ring gear
You need a 157 tooth ring gear I'd go to your local NAPA and tell them you need a ring gear for a 67 Mustang with a 289 and a 4 speed.
You don't want a 351 automotive ring gear cause they're 164 teeth and won't fit or work

Solenoid
Head for NAPA with your old one and tell them you want a new one from their marine catalog.

You could probably get everything at NAPA but you might pay quite a bit more for the damper as compared to ebasicpower's price.

You can find some pretty reasonably priced starters on the net using the ARCO numbers for cross reference as compared to NAPA prices too.

I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you're in.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2017 at 11:53pm
Keno, that was amazing.
Its not even my question, I dont run a Ford and i still feel like i should pay you something for that.
Thank you.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 12:42am
Kens list is excellent.

Add a battery and/or battery cables to your list... the solenoid stuck for a reason!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 6:55am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Kens list is excellent.

Add a battery and/or battery cables to your list... the solenoid stuck for a reason!

Agree and make sure the battery isn't a deep cycle. Automotive starting is all that's needed. Yes, I feel you have a low voltage problem that stuck/welded contacts together in the starter relay (solenoid)

Great list Ken!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by riturbo riturbo wrote:

So been reading here about washers and lining up the plate . Some say no . Whats the real deal . Is there one I can get that just bolts on ?

Quit reading about that stuff

Most everybody that's ever put one on just bolts it on and you're good to go

The ALTDA -106A that's mentioned will only have 3 bolts holding it to the flywheel instead of 6 which is probably what your original damper had. That's not a problem either

I don't know how the rest of the world does it but I'd bolt the damper on, then bolt the bellhousing on, then put the transmission on. That way you're sliding the transmission on the studs that are in the bellhousing and it easier on your muscles getting the splines lined up.and slid together You should have 6 threaded holes in the bellhousing for the transmission. The bottom 4 have studs and the top 2 take bolts.

The closer to level that you have the engine, the easier the sliding into place is too.

The transmission you have is about 95 pounds so it's not the easiest thing to wrestle around.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Keno, that was amazing.
Its not even my question, I dont run a Ford and i still feel like i should pay you something for that.
Thank you.

Nah, it's just info that's already on the website in one place or another.

What's really amazing is Pete agreeing with Tim........again

By the way, glad you survived the shingle loading job the other day Pete
riturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 10:04am
Thanks ken . You guys are the best . I knew you would set me strait. Was online yesterday and was really confused on what to order and where to get it . Will probably end up just getting the stuff at napa as I need it quick . The wife will have my balls if its not up and running for the fireworks on the fourth . Somehow this is all my fault . lol . Pulled all the parts yesterday . Would have had it back together if I had the parts in hand .

Glad you guys confirmed the batt cables . The solenoid has stuck a few times before . Changed the starter , solenoid , Battery , ignition switch and still does it every now and then. Was thinking all that was left was the cables .    

When I heard the kid coming with it banging and wrapping I thought for sure he blew the motor . Was almost happy when I lifted the cover and saw the starter smoking .

Ill let you know how it goes
Thanks Derrek.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 10:51am
Yeah, kids like to drove home on the rims it seems these days it appears.

Don't have to go crazy lifting the engine. A pair of thoughtfully sized and cut 2x4 tapped under and wedged under the rearmost of the exhaust manifold, keeps everything stationary.
The fords are neutrally balanced at the midpoint of the block, unlike the chevy, so its just the trans that does the tipping
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:04am
I'm not sure NAPA will have the damper plate.

My pretty old NAPA catalog doesn't list one
riturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Yeah, kids like to drove home on the rims it seems these days it appears.

Don't have to go crazy lifting the engine. A pair of thoughtfully sized and cut 2x4 tapped under and wedged under the rearmost of the exhaust manifold, keeps everything stationary.
The fords are neutrally balanced at the midpoint of the block, unlike the chevy, so its just the trans that does the tipping

Thanks its in the garage just put my chain fall on the back motor hook lifted it up a little and the trans come right out easy peasy. Its getting the parts that got me baffled   
riturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I'm not sure NAPA will have the damper plate.

My pretty old NAPA catalog doesn't list one

Thanks again if they dont have it at least I know what i'm looking for now .    Ill just have to order it from that site ..
riturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 1:11pm
Well napa had everything but the damper ordered it from that site . They have a guy that rebuilds starters and he has one on shelf .for 280 not cheep but ill have it today . The ring gear will be in this afternoon . So as soon as that damper comes in ill be in business .

What do you guys do for the batt cables ? Was thinking just pull them out and have someone make the up ?
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 2:14pm
They had a reverse rotation marine starter on the shelf?
Mike N

1968 Mustang

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2017 at 3:25pm
Hi Mike, are you in the PNW yet?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
riturbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

They had a reverse rotation marine starter on the shelf?

They have a guy who rebuilds starters . He had one on the shelf .

Installed everything .   Works great . Starts like a ford now instead of like an old chrysler .

Just wanted to thank all you guys for all your help . You saved me so much time and hastle .

Putting it in today for a water test . Don't expect any problems ..

There was a guy on here that I bought some new circuit breakers and glove box lid from a few years back . Need a few more . Does anyone know who that is or where i an get them . Need the ones for the lights .   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by riturbo riturbo wrote:

The wife will have my balls if its not up and running for the fireworks on the fourth . .

Well at least all your body parts will stay intact
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic