Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sending unit test

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sending unit test
    Posted: June-26-2017 at 11:54am
Now that Tique is in water, working on the Essaness Craft, getting her ready to sell...
The fuel gauge hasn't worked in a couple of years. Has 2 tanks, with switches at dash. I first checked gauge with Ohm meter and it seems ok. Then I checked the switches, and they seem ok. Off goes the floor boards and I pulled out the sending unit from one tank. When positioned at "empty", it read 87. When positioned at "full" it read 95. Thinking that isn't a large enough difference and that my sending unit is bad...
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 12:01pm
Pete,
It sure sounds like the sender is bad BUT, the wiper and the variable resistor could also be corroded. Try some contact cleaner and some aggressive up and down on the float arm. Also, check to make sure you have a good ground on the tanks by touching one of the VOM probes to the engine block and the other to the tank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 12:19pm
Thanks Pete!
Will do, later today. Seems odd that they both are bad, but they do read slightly different on the gauge, so perhaps this is the issue.
To confirm, one VOM probe on the block, the other not on the ground post of the sender, but the actual tank itself?
I'll report back with findings...
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by mtguy mtguy wrote:

To confirm, one VOM probe on the block, the other not on the ground post of the sender, but the actual tank itself?
I'll report back with findings...

Yes but do disconnect the sender wires or have the senders themselves pulled out of the tanks otherwise you would get some resistance back up through the gauge(s).

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 3:11pm
Perfect...Thanks.
Just got back in from a couple ski runs, have to a bit, then off to my shop up the road.
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 8:38pm
Pete,
I cleaned off the sending unit and got 32 "full tank position" and 283 empty. But, it seemed to be different every time I did it. (cheep VOM and apparently unsteady hands!)
I checked the ground on the tank and VOM read .8 (point 8. Not exactly sure what it should read.
I then went over to the other gas tank and it read 344 empty and 41 full. However, I then couldn't get it to read anything in the empty position, but it read normal in the full and half position. So I'm a bit confused.
I decided to follow the ground to the block, everything looked good, except I did notice that the ground from each tank is tied together in the same connector that connects to the block. Also, one of the sending units has a cork on the end, (yes, a wine cork) the other has the normal end.
Not sure where to go with this at this point. Any help is appreciated!
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 8:54pm
Pete,
At this point it's probably best to get new senders. That .8 ohm reading sounds good. The small resistance you got was from the wire to the block.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 8:58pm
Thanks Pete,
I hate to throw parts at something without knowing the story, so thanks for your help.
New senders it is.
I'll let you know how that goes.
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 4:25pm
Pete,
Forgot to let you know that the new sending units came and are installed and working. I' got her on the market for sale a few days ago. attached a couple photos.
Thanks again for your help.
As an aside I have an old Jeep that we run around the mountains in which never had a working fuel gauge. I'm using the techniques you helped me with to diagnose...thinking bad ground, but have one more test to run.
~Peter

~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 4:35pm
Pete,
Great to hear. Glad we were able to help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 1:13am
Pete,
I've been doing work on the Jeep I mentioned earlier. I traced the problem to a bad sending unit, which is attached to the fuel pump, inside the tank. Dropped the tank and pulled the pump/sending unit. Noticed a wire had come off one of the flat blade connectors. Connected it, Ran test wire from battery neg., plugged into wiring harness at tank and the sender seemed to work as it changed from empty to full to mid-tank with 'dry test". Put all together (what a bear to get the tank back on and everything connected!) and turned on the key after adding a couple gallons of gas to the near empty tank. Read perfectly. then pulled out of my shop and looked at the gauge and it read FULL!. Not sure what is happening. I'm going to check the ground, just in case tomorrow....
Thanks for any advice!
~Pete
PS Hope your summer boating and skiing is going as well as ours.
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic