NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 SN, tubing off rear tow location

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 10:22pm
Nice Team Red Boat.

My lovely bride of 24 years is a Critical Care Trauma Flight Nurse. Each summer, they have to take the helicopter to pick up a victim of two on a tube or two tubes behind one boat. When the kids heads hit together at speed it is like two water melons hitting each other. Two summers ago, on Lake Norman, a doctor's 15 year old son was driving the boat pulling two tubes with his two younger brothers . The two boys on the tube hit heads. They were flying into the downtown Charlotte hospital talking to the emergency room doctor on the phone about how critical this one kid was. The doctor had no idea that his kids were on the lake that day. However, they were allowed to take the boat out alone. When they rolled the kid into the Emergency Room, the doctor noticed it was his son. Another doctor had to step in to start working on him. It made a bad scene even horribly worse. .

Tubing is one thing, but two tubers greatly raises the stakes.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

Hi I would not pull from the rear. I would pull from the pylon. I have had the lifting eye out of a 2002 Ski Nautique and there is just not much to hold it. It is designed for vertical loads only.

OPs boat (93 SN) has a rear tow point on the boat.

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Nice Team Red Boat.

My lovely bride of 24 years is a Critical Care Trauma Flight Nurse. Each summer, they have to take the helicopter to pick up a victim of two on a tube or two tubes behind one boat. When the kids heads hit together at speed it is like two water melons hitting each other. Two summers ago, on Lake Norman, a doctor's 15 year old son was driving the boat pulling two tubes with his two younger brothers . The two boys on the tube hit heads. They were flying into the downtown Charlotte hospital talking to the emergency room doctor on the phone about how critical this one kid was. The doctor had no idea that his kids were on the lake that day. However, they were allowed to take the boat out alone. When they rolled the kid into the Emergency Room, the doctor noticed it was his son. Another doctor had to step in to start working on him. It made a bad scene even horribly worse. .

Tubing is one thing, but two tubers greatly raises the stakes.

Donald, I have a few thoughts on your comments. Back in the mid 1970's I was a high level tuber, had many endorsement offers, for example from Acme Rubber Tube Patch and FinestKind Valve Stems. So, more seriously, we used a few different tractor tubes, stem down, rope tied on and protected by some old dungaree material. I prided myself on almost never being thrown off. Ok, I'm the same as everyone else here in all points of this story, but my point is this. We were behind a 40 HP, then a 50 HP, then a 70 HP outboard. That was it. Yes, we got going fast and whipped at scary speeds but with 3 or 4 in a boat and 50 HP there's only so much you can do.

On this thread we are talking about a 240 HP inboard ski boat pulling a tube. The mayhem and havoc are nearly unlimited if the driver wants it to be that way. On my boat I decided some years ago that I pull kids at modest speeds, smaller kids at low 20's, bigger at mid 20's to 30 max, whip them pretty good but don't begin to use the boat's real power. I see people cranking up 300 HP boats and if you whip someone hard starting at 36 mph you've got them exiting the tube at (I'm guessing) 50 plus mph. Lots of bad things can happen.

So, I'm a wimpy tubing driver, but everyone has fun and no casualties yet beyond water up the nose.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 9:46am
I had my wife's best friend's kids out. Ages 9-17. I was doing as 63 Skier said and using very conservative power settings. The two younger ones were at 2400 RPM, which was showing me about 22mph on the speedos.
The 16 year old boy got around 30mph, when he was by himself.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 6:34pm
omg get a pair of skis already
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 7:59pm
There must be 50 or so $150k+ wakeboats on my 18,500 acre lake all pulling multiple tubers. It's so ridiculous, these kids are big enough to learn a water sports skill (barefoot, wakeboard, ski, etc.). It would do so much for their self esteem, character development however the parents can chug a beer and pull them aimlessly on tubes without exerting themselves. Not like it used to be. My new neighbors have a nice MariStar and only pull their 11 and 7 year olds on tubes.

As Donald mentioned accidents with tubes are increasing all the time. We have frequent tuber meets dock accidents resulting in deaths and critical injuries. Alcohol plus tubes = accidents.

Rant over
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 8:13pm
All you need to do is Google "tubing accidents" and the shocking injuries and even deaths come up of the mindless activity. Notice I did not say "sport"!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 8:27pm
And this is precisely why most people wind up dissatisfied with forums. I appreciate the input on whether the rear thimble was mechanically sound to tow with. I did not ask if I should pull kids on a tube, or if I should instead make someone waterski, etc.   I did a favor for a friend's kid on his birthday whose dad walked out on the family on his last birthday, and he wanted to go tubing.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 8:38pm
Don't be dissatisfied. Your 1st response warned you what was going to happen. There's got to be some useful info in your thread. Have fun with your kids doing whatever you want to do. The good thing about Correct Crafts is they were built with those heavy duty lifting rings which are great for attaching all sorts of things to.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 9:51pm
Bruce, watch the pylon with a big guy rippin it up on a slalom , it will bend!!

Jim, don't take it to heart, most of the regulars here would rather (or only) spend the time and effort to teach kids to ski, myself included. If tubing is the only option then so be it if done in a respectful manor.

BTW, is the birthday boy's mom hot???
jsenicka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsenicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2017 at 10:18pm
We only encountered two boats with skiers, and we promptly moved our stuff a lake away.   Trust me, if I had kids of my own (I am 52 and wife is 46, and we ain't starting now), they would learn to ski. I learned behind an early 70's Nautique on Yellow Birch lake in Eagle River in the late 70's. I have too many messed up cervical disks to start in on it my self these days.

And to answer the last question, no.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2017 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, Johnny Quest is correct. A tube can put so much stress on a pylon that it could break and kill the people in the boat. Pylons are not intended for towing tubes. In my very limited experience in towing a tube, I've seen the pylon bend to the point where I stopped the boat and ended the tubing session and told the kids to hunt down their uncles if they wanted to tube.

I saw a Malibu with a BENT pylon from towing a large multi-person tube thing. My pylon is used for skiing or boarding with extended pylon. Rear tow point is for the rare occasion that I pull a tube.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

[QUOTE=Donald80SN] Nice Team Red Boat.

On this thread we are talking about a 240 HP inboard ski boat pulling a tube. The mayhem and havoc are nearly unlimited if the driver wants it to be that way. On my boat I decided some years ago that I pull kids at modest speeds, smaller kids at low 20's, bigger at mid 20's to 30 max, whip them pretty good but don't begin to use the boat's real power. I see people cranking up 300 HP boats and if you whip someone hard starting at 36 mph you've got them exiting the tube at (I'm guessing) 50 plus mph. Lots of bad things can happen.

I agree with your point here. I spent the last 10 days with lots of family on a boating vacation. 9 kids from 8 years to 23 years. Tubing age appropriate speeds and always head up watching what is happening on the tubes. Generally 20 - 25 mph for the older tubers; but, always conscience of the speed of the tube on turns and throttle control to slow that down. No teenage drivers and mayhem whips! No one gets hurt and everyone always has fun.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 9:10pm
OK, Ill step in it.
Be careful puling tubes from the rear on a tournament inboard. You have to be really light handed with the stick. My '79 has a heavy duty tow point on the transom, not stock I know cause I put it there when I deleted the lifting rings. I got talked into pulling a tube for some friends this spring and I was shocked at how easy the boat could throw that tube around. From the ski piling the tube will just follow along behind you nice and calm no matter what you do with the helm. Tie it to back of a boat that handles and accelerates like mine and it can get flat dangerous, real quick. It got my attention in a hurry.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2017 at 4:08pm
I have been towing kids in the tube this month from my extended pylon. It works well because the tube has less chance to submarine due to up-pull. The kids are so light that driver can control the ride better than when the rope is low and dragging in the water.

Anything can be dangererous. Always be careful with tubes. I think they are inherently more dangerous than skis. It's a little ironic.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic