NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lost power suddenly

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 9:25pm
check the fuel pressure at the rail again, see if your HPP is working.   
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 9:25pm
This is a Throttle Body Injection setup?

You would typically be able to see gas squirting in your throttle body? Any pics of what your looking at when you say jets?

My first thought is you might have some air in the system now. Does your Fuel injection have any kind of schrader valve to check fuel pressure? Maybe you could burp it from there.
gravyleg pirate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 9:42pm
Ok, so I checked the schrader valve and it had gas come out of it. I don't have a pressure gauge unfortunately. Below are some pics, they're sideways and i don't know how to upload the upright way. I'll get that figured out later.

One thing occurred to me is on my FCC i labeled the hoses prior to removal, but in the long painful process of getting the can unscrewed I rubbed off my marks on the top. Do the top two lines have to be a certain place to function properly? I figure one is an inlet and one out but they look like they're going to the same place on the top of the block.
GLP
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"

2000 Air Nautique 216 (for 19 years)
2005 Air Nautique SV211 (2 months and counting...)
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 10:53pm
I was curious and started poking around. I did find this:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24972

I know my source is suspect, ha! But the image at the top seems to suggest the the 5.0 and 5.7 engines (Chevy like yours) the two top outlets... one is the return line and one the supply line.

I'm pretty sure on the GT-40, those equivalent lines, would each be going to a separate fuel rail and the fuel return line would be out the side. I'll see if I can find out any more.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 11:22pm
Uh huh, so I'm pretty sure one of those top lines is supposed to return excess fuel from the rail/fuel pressure regulator, and one is the supply.

That pic I was talking about, where it said 5.0/5.7 engines only, well, it looks like that means as opposed to the 6.0L engines. At the time of the manual, the Ford GT-40 was no longer made. So, I think on the GT-40 one line is a return as well.

Here is the full manual in context:
http://www.pcmengines.com/media/images/imagesL510010-14.pdf
Pages 37 and 38 go into the FCC details. Have to scroll more than half way down.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 11:24pm
Page 39 actually shows a diagram of the top of the 6.0 Fuel control cell, with a single connection.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 12:20am
THAT WAS IT!!! Switched the fuel lines and she fired right up! Ran her in the driveway for a bit, shut her off and she fired right back up again. Problem solved!

Almost.

So we packed up and headed to the lake for a test run, and now, the idle is very rough requiring some solid throttle to keep going. However, when we put her in gear, she dies. Both forward and backward.

Is this an issue of an idle adjustment or do I need to focus on the carb/throttle body thing? I thought maybe it would get better as the old gas got washed out, but it didn't seem to smooth out. At least I got three big things fixed that needed it!
GLP

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 2:19am
How is the fuel coming out of the injectors? It should be coming out as a mist and not dripping etc. like this:
https://youtu.be/qp0D_yG3Sxs
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 1:29pm
Mine actually looks pretty misty. It was a solid mist when it was running, and definitely was better after I switched the fuel lines after looking at the diagram above.

Could this just be a simple spark plug problem?
GLP

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 1:50pm
You said it dies when putting it in gear - were you able to get past that by applying more throttle right away, or does it die and you can't get it in gear running at all? Idling in neutral, what rpm is it idling at?

Not likely a spark plug problem, but certainly could be an ignition problem. Checking timing would be a good start. I looked at your first post and it said on your maiden voyage the boat ran OK for the first 20 minutes. Besides the fixes to the fuel system, have you done anything else to the engine since then? High pressure pump?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 2:08pm
One more thing from the beginning of the thread. It seemed there may have been a possible overheat? Was that ever addressed or ruled out?

I've read on here that if an engine overheats, the marine exhaust hoses are designed to collapse internally, to intentionally choke off the engine and prevent further damage.

Just wondering if you could possible have internally collapsed exhaust hoses.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 4:36pm
The engine would cough and eventaully die if I didn't add more throttle. Even then, that wasn't a guarantee that it would stay running. I'll check tonight using my homemade Timmy-T and see where the idle is.

I looked at the exhaust hoses and they looked like they hadn't been melted, but I'm not entirely sure? there was never any additional smell like it overheating and we never saw any smoke at any point.

I also have never fiddled with the timing, but it got me thinking about the cap and rotor. Here are some photos of what I have along with a dirty spark plug.

GLP

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 9:20am
Replacing the cap and rotor (and spark plugs) couldn't hurt anything. I've read the cap and rotor can cause problems on the Excalibur 5.7, not sure if your cap and rotor is the same design. The Plug wires may be due as well. Just be careful with the order so as not to introduce any new problems before you have it sorted.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 11:57am
The cap and rotor are junk.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 12:25pm
That poor thing has seen some serious neglect,you should give it a complete tuneup and fluid changes. After it's been run for some hours I'd drain the FCC and see once again if there is any water in it. If it does the tank needs to be cleaned out. I think you almost have it going.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 1:10pm
Great! Thank you guys! Picked up new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires from Autozone. Will sneak home at lunch and put them on (eating is secondary).

I actually feel like this could be it! Can't tell you all how grateful I am for your expertise. As one who is not overly technically minded I love knowing you guys are out there!

Unless it catches fire, then you can all pound sand!
GLP

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 3:32pm
PERFECT!!! New cap, rotors, spark plugs, fuel filter, high-pressure fuel pump, low-pressure fuel pump, starter, and the battery was the key!

took her out last night and after about 10 minutes really smoothed out and was running like a champ. The ten-year-old even skied a few passes. Amazing what a little TLC can do. I learned my lesson, that's for sure!

GLP

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 3:54pm
Glad to hear your back up and running

I commend you on staying in there and working through it all.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 7:55pm
saweeeet!   glad its running again!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 8:07pm
Great news, enjoy the time on the water! A lot of new parts but all of them are items that would need to be replaced sooner or later, so you should have a nice long run of good luck with it now. (hope I didn't jinx you!)
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 11:03pm
Welcome to Team Red.

You handbook and inanition kit are in the mail.

Nice work.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

You handbook and inanition kit are in the mail.

someone else spell checked the initiation kit and manual, so you should be able to read them
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gravyleg pirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 6:02pm
Really all I need is a glossary of all the acronyms you guys make up!
GLP

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 6:41pm
Glad you got it running. Way to hang in there and see it through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic