NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do the numbers add up?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Boat - 80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do the numbers add up?
    Posted: July-12-2006 at 10:47am
In Feb we pruchasing our first SN, 1980 with the 351W. The carb was replaced in '05 and the tranny in '04 or '05. The boat has 1000 hours...and the side graphics curiously say Obrien's Ski instead of the Ski Nautique graphics. I purchased through a dealer in Lewisville, Texas so I don't know much about the original owner.

So far, we've put 40 hours on the boat and here's what we're seeing.

Federal 13 x 13 prop...very bad shape(dings and almost considered small chunks missing from the edges)
Top end around 43-44 (checked with GPS)
RPMs seems to be closer to 5000 than 4400. Though, I suspect this is incorrect because when motor is off...the RPMs read 1500. How does one fix the RPM gauge?

The throttle seems a little sticky...in that it's not super easy to make adustments in the 20-24 mph range.

And I suspect the boat is holding tons of weight up front due to soaked foam.

So...should we be getting closer to 50mph out of this boat?...and how do I test whether or not the RPM gauge is correct?

Thanks!...and I'll post some photos and a profile shortly..
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2006 at 1:11pm
I'll let the more knowledgable answer the tough questions but sounds like the top end is about right. I've seen lots of electronic tachs settle at 1000 or 1500 rpm when you turn them off. The usually drop to zero when you turn the ignition back on. Congrats on the new ride!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2006 at 10:01pm
Congrats!
Did you buy from Buxton? I had a great experience there. I'd drive from Houston to deal with those guys instead of these down here any day.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2006 at 10:27pm
I saw that one....your speed is not bad for having a prop that is in questionable shape.

Try a new prop or get that one reconditioned (for $100-$120)....you will see 2-4 mph top end.For new... Look into the Acme 540(about $300.00)...or OJ.

50 mph is what a SN for that time period can do if everything is working together as it should...strong engine timed correctly etc.
45-47mph is good!

As far as soaked foam...you don't know until you probe....if it's well soaked, the boat is draggy(slow out of the hole and top end)...sounds like your running pretty good and need to improve the prop performance.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

The Boat - 80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boat - 80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2006 at 11:06pm
Excellent good to hear...looks like I'll see if I get that 2-4 real soon...going to have to order a new prop as the replacements from a friend may not seem to work (will on that in a few minutes).

The Dude...I bought from DFW Boats in Lewisville. Nice guys...though they didn't really know the boat all that well, of course being a first time buyer I didn't really know what I was looking for...but now after tearing apart the underwater gear and the front flooring...I'm learning fast...
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 9:18am
As far as the sticky throttle is concerned, there could be several things going on.

First, disconnect the throttle cable from the carburetor and then move the lever through its travel range. Is the movement smooth or sticky. If sticky, then you may need a new control cable, or reconditioning (lubricating) the throttle control.

If smooth, then pay attention to how the trottle cable is connected to the carburetor throttle arm. Was it mounted as high as possible. Is the throttle cable in a bind when at the problem setting? Just spend some time sorting out the cable and/or replacing and you should be able to solve the problem.

Congratulations on you purchase.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic