Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle cable replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle cable replacement
    Posted: July-18-2017 at 9:58pm
I have a 1989 Sport Nautique that has no acceleration. Pretty sure it is a broken throttle cable. My boat mechanic is backed up for the next 4 weeks. Any tips on how to replace the cable?
texastom
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 10:13pm
Before you go thru all that work check the ends first. They look like this the steel arm of the control can wear right thru the soft brass.and the end breaks off.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

the steel arm of the control.

Tom,
Just to clarify what Gary stated, the "steel arm" he mentions is on the helm throttle/shift control. Pull it out and take a look at it's back side.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 7:56am
Thanks for the quick response. I have already checked the end that connects to the carb. Nothing wrong there. I am planning on pulling the control off this weekend. I will know more then.
texastom
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 10:46am
Yes, chances are the pivot at the helm side is sawn through
Drop the helm and take a look.
But if the cable is broken, Electrical tape the new cable to the old one, and pull it through.

heh, Got so i would always carry an extra pivot and an impeller in my vehicle, so invites to ski didn't turn into a shore party prematurely. Ski whoring like a tramp with rubbers in her purse.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:28am
OK, I have attempted to remove my controller but it will not come out of the cut out where it is was bolted in place. From the few videos that I have watched it looks like I need to cut the hole all the way to the end of my fiberglass making a three sided hole or slot in stead of the 4 sided hole that I have now. I think it would slide right out if I cut out the bottom section. Is my evaluation correct?

It is the brass connector to pivot arm of the throttle cable that has worn out. I was able to remove it, Have a new one on order. Not sure if I will be able to get the cotter pin back in place for the new one unless I get the controller out.
texastom
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:42am
Tom,
Many helm controls are not easy to work on due to them being tucked under the gunnel with limited space. It's the cable attachment bracket that's keeping it from being removed. Many times it needs to be removed with it's 4 bolts before the assembly can be removed or in some cases the control can be slid in the opposite direction of the cable entry so the bracket clears the hole. Enlarging the hole would be my last option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 9:55am
Tom,
One more suggestion is to measure where the old pivot is located on the threaded section of the cable and then install the new one in the same spot. It should be close but you still may need to go through the throttle and shift cable adjustment procedure. There's a link to the adjustment in the FAQ thread in the maintenance section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Ski whoring like a tramp with rubbers in her purse.
first the wind in the willows signature line and now this? Tom you're a poet. No sarcasm intended, I love reading your posts.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 10:43pm
<blush>
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
texastom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texastom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2017 at 8:31am
Just want to say thanks for the tips! Replaced the worn out brass fitting yesterday. Was able to replace it without taking out the controller. Just had to remove the panel. Boat started right up after being replaced. Will be taking it out this Sunday for the day. Hopefully no adjustment will be needed!
texastom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic