Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RR distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RR distributor
    Posted: July-18-2017 at 10:29pm
Just purchased a new pertronix marine distributor for my 351W. Distributor has a standard rotation gear on it. Of course it wont fit. Does pertronix make a RR gear for this distributor? Thanks, Mike.
Mike Bryan
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 11:07pm
They don't make a RR gear for it.

You can't use your old one either because the shaft is a different size.

The old shaft is .531 inches assuming it's a Prestolite and the new one is .500 inches.

You can bush down the old gear to fit.

A couple of people on the site have done this and had good results.

You might send a PM to Duane in Indy who could do this if he has the time. He's done quite a few projects for people on the site including just what you need. You'd have to ship him your distributor for the best fit/results

Another member lharley isn't around much but he did the same thing.

Maybe you know a local machinist or even better maybe you're a machinist .
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 11:16pm
I had no idea I was purchasing a distributor with the wrong gear. My fault, should have checked my engine rotation, oh well, lesson learned. I removed the pld gear, even using soft brass, a couple of gears broke. Where can I get another RR gear for the prestolite?
Mike Bryan
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 11:22pm
I used to have some but they're gone now.

351 gears are different from 302 gears if you get looking.

The hole for the shaft is bigger on a 351.

Send Duane a PM, he might have something.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2017 at 11:22pm
2 RR gears on e-bay. Does not state the I.D. size
should have pressed the old one off.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:49pm
Thanks for the replies.
Mike Bryan
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 9:20pm
Not a lot of help though.

Here's a link to a recent thread and in that thread there's a list of what's available these days for a RR 351 engine in case you end up returning it to get something else.

link to recent thread
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 12:40pm
Well, here"s the fix- going to use the new Pertronix distributor, bought a RR gear, 100.00 bucks!! Going to bore the new gear out to "too tight", lockite it good, and throw it in there. Was contemplating the Davis, as they make a RR dizzy, but the cap is too large in diameter to fit. Funny, Pertronix makes a RR dizzy for GM, just not Ford 351W. Should work, as others have performed this. Car guys do this quite frequently. Thanks, for all the help. I have had this boat 30 years, just now starting to throw parts at it.
Mike Bryan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:05pm
You did not mention that you are going to also pin it on also. That is a must.
Do you have the proper dimension from the base of dizzy to thrust face of the gear?
That is important. And YES $100 is on the stout side.    Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:23pm
DUI cap has no problem fitting the PCM 351w. Do you have another marinization with tighter clearance at the 'stat housing or did someone give you bad info?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

DUI cap has no problem fitting the PCM 351w. Do you have another marinization with tighter clearance at the 'stat housing or did someone give you bad info?

Probably should say "most of the time it has no problem"

Remember Dan in Ct in this thread

There have been a few others with some crazy tight fit issues between the cap and water hose to the left manifold That would be the port manifold for you Pete
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:55pm
Some on the Shamrock site with PCM's had trouble too, a spacer between the thermostat housing and manifold fixed that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 3:57pm
That was Dan's fix too
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

That would be the port manifold for you Pete

Ken,
I'm not the only one who shows some class with proper marine terminology:
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

at the start of the video you can see a jet ski along the port side for about one second .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 4:28pm
Just wanted to see if you were following this thread Pete, now I know

You're getting a little wittier with your answers too
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2017 at 9:39pm
Mike

Since you're sticking with the Pertronix I just thought I'd mention that the installed advance springs are just right for a ski boat application.

You get 24 degrees of mechanical advance in addition to your initial advance so 10 initial plus 24 would give 34 degrees. You could do 12 initial and 36 advance if you felt like it.

The extra springs and advance limiters they include aren't needed.

The colors of the springs don't match the instruction sheet very well but the silver are what are installed and if you look at the advance table in the instructions you'll see the advance curve.

I've installed a few on normal rotating engines and they've worked very well despite what the "Pertronix haters" on the site might say or think
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 10:21am
Yes, I am checking the distance of the gear face as well as pinning it. The DUI dizzy is very expensive, plus it has the coil mounted I am guessing on the side. Already tight with the prestolite. Not saying it wouldn't fit, just didn't want to take the chance. In looking at my old dizzy, I could see where the oil pump engages in the bottom, it had begun to wear out. So, with the cost of the new dizzy, the new gear, I am still way cheaper than the other options available. This forum is the best !! Thanks for all the help, will let everyone know how it turns out. Mike.
Mike Bryan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2017 at 10:59am
This may help.

Dimensions
        1978 Mustang (modified)
foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 11:36am
Re-bushed my new Mallory RR dizzy gear for my new Pertronix, dimensions all checked out - new holley marine carb, new plugs, new MSD wires, new coil, also a new starter solenoid. Ran it yesterday, cranks perfect, seems the initial timing is lazy[ factory spec is 6 degrees@ 600 RPM's] wants to fall on its face from idle, slowly raising RPM's, then it will pick up. Didn't do this prior to dizzy change. It does have the silver springs in it, will change to the lighter copper springs to bring it all in sooner. According to the chart, 24 degrees with the silver springs doesn't come in until 2000-2500. Runs great other than the brief flat spot off idle. Oh yea, the ballistor is by-passed now because of no points.
Mike Bryan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 11:49am
Bump it up to around 10 degrees and try it.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 11:53am
You also stated that you put on a new carb.   That could also need tweeked. Perhaps some accelerator pump tuning.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by foot@63 foot@63 wrote:

Re-bushed my new Mallory RR dizzy gear for my new Pertronix, dimensions all checked out - new holley marine carb, new plugs, new MSD wires, new coil, also a new starter solenoid. Ran it yesterday, cranks perfect, seems the initial timing is lazy[ factory spec is 6 degrees@ 600 RPM's] wants to fall on its face from idle, slowly raising RPM's, then it will pick up. Didn't do this prior to dizzy change. It does have the silver springs in it, will change to the lighter copper springs to bring it all in sooner. According to the chart, 24 degrees with the silver springs doesn't come in until 2000-2500. Runs great other than the brief flat spot off idle. Oh yea, the ballistor is by-passed now because of no points.

Like Duane said, bump it up to 10 degrees and you'll also get a decent advance number at higher RPM's. Right now with 6 at 600 rpm you only get 30 at full advance.

34 would be a good number at full advance,     , 10 at idle gives you that.

Your recommended 6 degrees was for that particular Prestolite that you replaced.

Also like Duane said, I'd be looking at the new carburetor adjustments for your flat spot off idle I'd suspect the new carburetor before the new distributor

Idle mixture and accelerator pump come to mind as possible culprits

foot@63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foot@63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 1:02pm
tweaked the pump shot with no change, slightly worse with some clearance, idle screws tweaked, idles great, plug color is perfect. I put the copper springs in this morning with a short dry fire, engine seemed snappy, of course this a no load situation, I like 10 degrees initial, with 34 full in. That is next.
Mike Bryan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic