Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel Coat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waterdude49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterdude49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gel Coat
    Posted: July-19-2017 at 6:12pm
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair the Gel Coat on my '78 Correct Craft American Skier? The previous owner fixed the stringers and replaced the floor boards and interior, however; they used multiple layers of black bow paint on the bottom of the boat as well as 6-8 inches up the side. I spent this past winter sanding it back down to the gel coat, but you can see the cracks (my guess is from when the stringers were bad). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2017 at 8:23pm
Removing the gel coat to get rid of the cracks is not worth the effort, IMO.

Painting it a matching color would be much easier & cheaper.

A auto paint store should be able to scan & match your color.

You will still need to groove out the cracks & fill with epoxy, or they will telegraph thru the paint.

Sounds like you have it sanded already, so you are 1/4 way done.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 7:50pm
I"m very interested in doing this to my boat too. The previous owner didn't take good care of it so the gel coat has a lot of cracks in it. It now has fresh stingers. It's going to get new upholstery too so I'd love to go all out and get it looking brand new.
92 Sport nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic