NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Tire Wear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Tire Wear
    Posted: July-22-2017 at 1:33pm
Hey guys, for the past couple of long trailer tows, I have been noticing significant inner tire wear The remaining tire (center/outer) has plenty of tread. The existing tires are an off brand load c that has been on the trailer for 4/5 years. Visual loaded inspection indicate the tires are slight outward at the bottom. So.... based on what I have been reviewing it could be the following:

1) loose bearings (verified and good)
2) air pressure (verified and good)
3) suspension going bad and needs replacement (original trailer)
4) overloading trailer (possible with wet form, full tank and gear)

What's your thoughts? If I get a load D tires, would this possible solve the issue?

Also I notice, when the boat is on the trailer and I move the boat left and right, the actual tires do sway, not the rims

Thanks guys
Kostas N
84SN2001
JD ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:27pm
It can be as simple as an alignment issue (bent axle) I had this same ware pattern and I could actually see in my mirrors while towing that my front left tire would look toe out at the bottom while towing. I did not know what to do for years other than replace the axle. Then I found out that a good old alignment shop can bend the axles to align a bent axle. Notice I said good old alignment shop. Most new and modern shops will not have the equipment to work on straight axles. This resolved my tire ware issue. Good luck
JD ski, slicing, dicing, and shredding since 1981

1999 Air Nautique, GT40 Pro Boss, Trail Rite trailer
1975 Century Resorter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:40pm
Thanks JD! I was afraid that might be the case. There is a frame shop near by that I will be calling. Now can they verify the allighnment without any load on the trailer? Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2017 at 5:51pm
Kostas,
I thought the same on the bent axel. Before you take the trailer in, you can clamp straight edges to both hubs and the measure between them. Measure with the straight edges both vertically and horizontally to determine which way the axel is bent.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 2:06am
axel
[ak-suh l]
noun Figure Skating.
a jump performed by a skater leaping from the front outer edge of one skate into the air to make 1½ rotations of the body and landing on the back outer edge of the other skate.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 4:36am
Inner tire wear will normally be caused by the load concentrating on the inner tire, you can put a level on each tire and see how they sit vertically. I bet the one is in closer to your boat at the top of the tire and wider at the bottom. A level would show where you are vertically.   Your axle could be bent in two directions, up and forward or up and back.
You can buy a new axle and install it.   Might be money ahead compared to straightening your old axle.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2017 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

axel
[ak-suh l]
noun Figure Skating.
a jump performed by a skater leaping from the front outer edge of one skate into the air to make 1½ rotations of the body and landing on the back outer edge of the other skate.

Thank you Prof. H.
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2017 at 7:53pm
I had this same thing on my war eagle boat and I took it to an old welding shop and he straightened my axle for $35 and I now have close to 10k miles on my new tires and they still look great.
92 Sport nautique
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 1:21am
Thanks guys...I think I found a local weld/trailer shop to take a look at the trailer. Right now I am just enjoying the weather and boat will keep everyone posted.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2017 at 10:34am
Could the axle be on backerds? they bend them for a little toe-in, yes?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic