NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Fuel float adjustments

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by 1994nautique 1994nautique wrote:

I am in the northeast corner, by Devils Tower, about 4200 feet.

Where did you buy your jets from?

www.summitracing.com

I buy waaaay to much stuff from those guys.

I've had great success with the 2 jet size drop at 4,400 feet. You may be a good candidate for the same. The QF carb package indicated the jet sizes, but I pulled the jets and looked at the number stamped on the jets.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
93xs2003@gmail.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93xs2003@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 10:07am
When I installed a QF carb, my original flame arrestor would not clear the float adjustment screws, so I replaced it with a barbron 5-3/4" dia. aluminum arrestor. Float adjustment issue fixed.

I wasn't happy with the cold start idle.   I went down early in advance of the skiers and dialed the choke in while cold.   Shut down, buttoned it up, restarted and pulled away from the dock.   Idle was terrible. Pig-rich, Stalled.   Float bowl sites show normal fuel level.    Restarted & cleared it with a little throttle.   Idle is now perfectly fine. Huh? Does not compute.

What was happening was the 5-3/4" arrestor was interfering with the choke butterfly shaft. Depending on very slight shift in arrestor centrality, arrestor rotation, bolt torque, engine vibration, etc. the choke would intermittently stick until the bi-metallic spring overcame the friction of shaft against the arrestor.   

There was a small witness mark (burnishing of the black coating) on the choke shaft on the end opposite the bell-crank. If you are running a 5-3/4" arrestor, check for interference.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 7:02pm
Good catch.

I run the K&N flame arrestor that comes with an elevated flange. I double-checked for choke operation when I installed the unit.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 8:49am
Which K&N are you using?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93xs2003@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 9:02am
JQ, Does the k&n have a barb for the fuel pump overflow?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 11:03am
The page in the link has some "other brand" applications listed and also has a listing of vent hose adapters that you can get separately like the fuel pump overflow fitting etc.

link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by 93xs2003@gmail.com 93xs2003@gmail.com wrote:

JQ, Does the k&n have a barb for the fuel pump overflow?

Parts List

K&N Marine Flame Arrestor
K&N 59-3264
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-59-3264/overview/

1/4 inch vent adaptor K&N 85-1325 (this is for the clear fuel line from fuel pump)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-85-1325

5/8 inch vent adaptor K&N 85-1362 (this is for the engine vent into the carb)
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-85-1362

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93xs2003@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 2:20pm
No doubt those external barbs work fine for venting crankcase gasses. I'd be interested to know k&n's official position on using them for fuel pump overflow.

I don't have a sense of how much fuel could flow when a diaphragm fails, but I'd think you would want raw fuel to be dumped directly down the throttle bores (like a 4160) rather than outside the arrestor. I'm assuming the nn-85-1325 does not penetrate the arrestor/filter.

It's a shame QF didn't just put a fuel overflow barb on their marine carb..

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 4:43pm
Honestly, I did consider that issue also. But, I've convinced myself that the airflow and the design of the vent adapter should be sufficient to handle the fuel leakage from a bad pump diaphragm.

+1 on wishing that QF had an overflow barb attachment on the carb . :-(

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by 93xs2003@gmail.com 93xs2003@gmail.com wrote:

No doubt those external barbs work fine for venting crankcase gasses. I'd be interested to know k&n's official position on using them for fuel pump overflow.

I don't have a sense of how much fuel could flow when a diaphragm fails, but I'd think you would want raw fuel to be dumped directly down the throttle bores (like a 4160) rather than outside the arrestor. I'm assuming the nn-85-1325 does not penetrate the arrestor/filter.

It's a shame QF didn't just put a fuel overflow barb on their marine carb..

Sounds like you need to talk to K&N to see how they justify that it meets USCG standards.

Probably through their own testing and not by Underwriters Lab testing for Coast Guard Approval.

There's a difference between "meets Coast Guard standards" and "USCG approved'

A good example of that is a DUI marine distributor. It meets the standard but it hasn't undergone the UL testing.

The testing is Expensive (with a capital E) and their legal department must be comfortable justifying that it meets the standard through their own testing. (The uscg says if you meet SAE J-1928 or UL-1111 requirements, you're OK)

I could modify a flame arrestor or modify a distributor to meet the standards pretty easily but come testing time, it's a whole lotta money involved.

People on here have modified their flame arrestors and distributors and might also throw in carburetors to become "marine" to them, but that's their choice for personal use. and in the case of older stuff they improved on the original 60's equipment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93xs2003@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2017 at 11:05pm
I bet that k&n would state that their air filter has USCG approval with respect to queching the flame of a back fire event, but would claim no responsibility with respect to use if the 1/4 barb for fuel overflow. The 85-1325 is a "vent hose adapter.". What it is attached to is the end users responsibility.

I considered drilling a hole to attach a barb to my brand new throttle body, but dismissed the idea. I also considered adding a barb to my old flame arrestor and using a spacer to clear to the floats adjusters. Dismissed this as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic