Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

painting boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
76 tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: painting boat
    Posted: July-12-2006 at 11:18pm
i have a 76 ski tique. my boat does not have gel-coat.i am wanting to re-paint my boat.i have stress cracks on the top rails. how do i fix the cracks. do i need to paint with auto paint and then clear coat or spray with urithane.also where can you get the stickers so you can paint the letters back on.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 12:00am
Originally posted by 76 tique 76 tique wrote:

i have a 76 ski tique. my boat does not have gel-coat.

Not sure what you are wanting to paint over...what happen to the gel-coat? Has it been painted before or is the gel sanded off?

stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 12:02am
I painted mine in 1992. I used auto paint, base coat, clear coat. I used 3M's masking tape called the edge to mask off the stripes and the lettering and pony I used frisket. After the stripes and lettering were done, then I clear coated. The flag stickers are easy to find www.whitelake.com. click on store, then decals and stickers.
Tim D
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 2:25am
Hi
I would not use an Auto Paint.
Auto Paints are not designed for underwater exposure.
Use a Marine Two pack Linear poly urethane. Sterling , Awlgrip, International etc.

I had stress cracks as well. But mainly my Gel coat was crazed and Chalky

I stripped the gel coat and Fibre glassed completely on the top of the hull and faired it back.

Very big Job, it stopped allot of the cracks from reappearing but should have gone about it another way

The stress cracks happen because the rails flex when people stand on them or sit on them.

I regret not strengthening the rails from under neath to make them stiffer.

You could do this fibre glassing plywood supports that go underneath the rails.

I was happy with the paint though.

My 1968 Nautique is in the diaries section

Regards
Rob McDonald
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 9:56am
Originally posted by 76 tique 76 tique wrote:

i have a 76 ski tique. my boat does not have gel-coat.

where did it go?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
76 tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 11:14pm
the reason i say there is no gel-coat is the lettering will rub off. the letters were painted on. the boat has never been repainted.also what is frisket.if you sand the boat down do you go all the way to the fiberglass or do you rough the surface.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 11:34pm
Frisket is a masking film. It's like wax paper with a low tac adhesive on the back. You stick it on, and cut it with an X-Acto knife. It peels easy, can be reapplied, and you can see through it. Airbrush artist use it. I just roughed the surface. Like I said, I painted it in 1992, that pic is last summer.
Tim D
76 tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2006 at 12:09am
DID YOU PAINT THE BOAT GO BACK AND PAINT THE LETTERS THEN CLEARCOAT
76 tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76 tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2006 at 12:10am
TIM DID THE BOAT HAVE GEL-COAT BEFORE YOU PAINTED IT.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2006 at 8:39am
A previous owner had painted over the gel-coat. The only reason I redid it was because the stripes wore off, they were stick on. I painted the boat white, let it dry for a day, drew out the stripes and lettering,masked and painted them and let it dry. Next day I used 2000 grit to lightly sand the stripes and lettering and then clear coated.
Tim D
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 10:41pm
Ok...I assume you have gel coat and are trying to redo the graphics...right? or paint the entire hull?

Post a pic.

If your gel coat is in good shape you can high speed buff it and restore it's shine. Mask and paint the graphics back....many posts on the subject.

If you want to paint the hull and deck...yes you can paint over gel coat...but it needs to be lighty scuffed up...600 or 800 grit wet.
Awlgrip as mentioned, is a good one. Imron WAS a good one but it's no longer made.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 4:23am
Hi All
One of the Paints I mentioned was Sterling.

Below is the link to thier web site.

http://www.detcosterling.com

Lots of good advice on how to prep and paint over gel coat.

They also have a new paint.
Which I wish was out when I did my boat.
68A SERIES ACRYLIC TOPCOAT

Marine two pack paints are great and very durable but are very hard to spot repair if you damage them.

The new paint is two pack Acrylic which you can spot repair and buff.

Painting a boat is all about preparation, the last part is the top coat and if paint you choose is not right for the job like using auto paint on a boat, all the effort is for nothing.

Regards
Rob McDonald

Below is a bit of info on the new paint.
68A SERIES ACRYLIC TOPCOAT
68A Series Acrylic Topcoat is a high-solids, v.o.c. compliant, two-component isocyanate cured Acrylic Urethane Coating. It is specifically designed to be applied over Sterling Primers. Sterling 68A Series Acrylic exhibits a high gloss, mirror like finish with excellent adhesion, extreme durability, abrasive resistance, gloss retention and resistance to salt water and chemical spills. Can be easily maintained, repaired and restored to maintain longevity
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic