Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Propeller shaft strut bushing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bjurcina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjurcina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propeller shaft strut bushing
    Posted: July-28-2017 at 7:11pm
1999 196 SN. Anyone have any information on the propeller shaft support bushing such as a part number or dimensions? I need to replace mine and instead of taking it apart to measure and then order I would prefer to have one ready to put right in. Thanks
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 2:05am
skidim.com indicates the following bushing for CC:

LINK

I recently used the Duramax BADE:

LINK to Duramax
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 4:51am
I used the new plastic type strut bearings. Installed easy and have very little drag on the shaft. I can spin my prop with one finger dry or wet. I am very happy so far but only have 50 hours on them.   No way to tell if they will work for 500 hours.   Maybe others can chime in
.http://www.skidim.com/GLIDE-MARINE-STRUT-BEARINGS-1-ID-X-1-1_4-OD/productinfo/OJ2032B/
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 11:06am
I also used the Delrin (sp?) bushings a few years ago, Probably have 300 hours on them, still perfect.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 4:21pm
I should have known they were delrin, same product used in hip joints and in some car ball joints. Very tough stuff.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2017 at 5:22pm
John and Mark,
It's not Delrin but close. Delrin is made by Dupont and is a homopolymer acetal. The Vesconite is also in the acetal family of homopolymers and made by Vesconite. They claimit has better low friction and higher load capacity than the typical acetal.
FWIW, I was involved with a study to determine the best water lubricated bushing in a food processing application. We consulted the bushing/plastic manufactures and picked 20 plastics in both the thermosetting and thermoplastic groups as well as several rubber lined metal bushings. One of rubber lined bushings was the one we had been using for years. We got them out in the field at 2 locations sampled and measured wear of the bushings and the stainless shafting running on them after 1 year and again at 2 years. At 1 year, about half of the plastic bushings were almost to the point of failure (worn over half of their original wall thickness) and pulled from the test. The end result was the rubber lined brass bushings outperformed all the plastics!! I know many have had good results with the Vesconite cutlass bearings but personally I stick with the tried and true rubber!! BTW, when I restored my 54, the rubber cutlass was in such good shape, I didn't even bother a R&R!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 2:06am
Pete, your a wealth of information.   At least the plastic bushing would be a 10 minute removal rather than a 1/2 day project when it is time change it.
Thanks for sharing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic