Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

77 SkiTique gasohol carb conundrum

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
francoamerican View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 77 SkiTique gasohol carb conundrum
    Posted: July-31-2017 at 5:42pm
So I found the boat of my dreams last year - '77 SkiTique, Ford 302. Looks like a parade boat and been running great too. Until this weekend. Usually takes a squirt of starting fluid to light, but this weekend no dice.. Crank and crank and just burns the ether and sputters out. Nobody seems to want to work on these. New Jersey ethanol gas is at fault I'm pretty sure. After talking to a bunch of folks, i'm wondering if it's not better to replace the carb with one of these Summit Racing injectors for 800 bucks https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30003?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-fitech-fuel-injection&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqvvLBRDIARIsAMYuvBGgu485x_L2a7PJ3BUMLwoZL-nmQXPz28wFDoL02dl9QLshqGqfWT0aAmRCEALw_wcB

If so, has anyone had experience doing this? What's the difficulty level and is it something I should be able to do on my own? Pretty handy mechanically, but never done a fuel system teardown before. Thanks all!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 6:03pm
Franco,
I suggest confirming the cause of the lack of fuel before jumping in on a conversion that will be difficult to say the least. What's the fuel pressure from the fuel pump? Is the anti siphon plugged? Is the screen in the carb plugged? Is the screen in the tank plugged? Is the vent to the tank plugged? When was the carb rebuilt last? I also wouldn't be so quick to blame ethanol fuel. I've been running it since it came out and have NEVER had a problem!! BTW, you are ruining your engine with the starting fluid!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 6:16pm
Thanks for that very helpful response, Pete! I will try to diagnose it as you suggested. I concluded the gasohol caused the problem, since it was suggested by the CC dealer I bought the boat from. I think I'll need a mobile mechanic to come check it out at my dock, But that's part of the problem since nobody here (NJ coast) seems to want to look at it. BTW - it looks just like yours, with a beautiful new gel coat and upholstery and I really just want to get her back in the water. Good to know about the ether too. I'll stop that pronto.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 6:34pm
Franco,
We'd all love to see some pictures when you get a chance. Also, keep us informed as you take a look at the potential issues that are causing the problem.

Regarding the ethanol, I find that it's an overused and easy excuse for engine problems. Yes, even dealers use it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 6:43pm
Thanks, Pete Here are a few Insta shots:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWI5wM1DjOV/?taken-by=franco.american

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGhuf5WTdmi/?taken-by=franco.american

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSzUlBMDzG_/?taken-by=franco.american

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIYqagmjNnB/?taken-by=franco.american
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by francoamerican francoamerican wrote:

Thanks, Pete Here are a few Insta shots:

Direct link 1

Direct link 2

Direct link 3

Direct link 4

Looks great! Keep the heat stamped vinyl is good shape. You can't get it anymore. I wish I had it in my 77.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 10:06pm
You might want to rule out an ignition problem. If starting fluid isn't firing, probably not a fuel issue IMO.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 11:15pm
Don't dismiss the gasohol Pete. A lot of guys on the east coast have Shamrock's -quite a few of them have problems with separation. I think it's the different formulations for the different areas of the country. I filled up the Mustang in Florida that year CCF went to the Mt Dora boat show. It sat for 3 months and dissolved the tank liner. Used the same product in my MG and 8n Ford for years here and they are fine. It was fine in the Mustang for years before too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2017 at 11:18pm
Thanks, but I think we ruled out ignition since ether would fire and then she starved out, so I'm thinking more fuel.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 9:26am
Does the carb squirt gas down throat when you pump throttle (engine off)?

If not, start looking at pump, filter, lines, antisiphon valve, tank vent, pickup screen.

Ben Franklin
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 9:56am
I live and boat in New Jersey-ALWAYS use startron or sta-bil,when adding fresh gas,I have seen what it does to carbs and gaskets when no additive is used
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 7:44am
I hate ethanol fuels. I don't get too excited about driving 17 miles each way to buy E0, but I never deal with a lot of crummy operating issues on boats, small engines, etc.

Gas is plentiful. Why mine the soils for ethanol?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:09pm
OK - folks, thanks so much for your kind and generous help. Going to try sleuthing this with a mechanic this weekend. Assuming nothing untoward (no clogs, fuel pump OK, clean lines, etc.), Meanwhile, have any of you guys or gals converted an old carbed engine to EFI? Something like this? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30003 - says it should only take a few hours to swap from a 4-bbl.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:19pm
Franco - that's a can of worms....   Our boats don't allow for an O2 sensor reference, and the power/performance curves are different than you would find in a car.    There have been some guys who have done the EFI thing, but I don't think its for the faint of heart, and the install time.... minimal compared to the tuning time.   Also, don't run too lean, you can grenade a motor in no time flat if it decides to detonate.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:20pm
Wow that's a nice price for a turnkey throttle body Fuel injection system--wonder myself if it works! Might be the answer for Protec system failures if you combine it with a DUI distributor/ignition system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:24pm
Thank you @dreaming. I was afraid of that. I'm just getting so frustrated that NO ONE seems to want to work on this baby. All the MM guys seem to want to touch are new outboards. Ugh. You'd think this would be simple. No EFI to sleuth etc.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 3:34pm
Hopefully you find someone soon.... sucks to be in a spot where you don't have any help on a frustrating problem.     
Carb rebuilds and tuning should be fairly simple for an old school muscle car guy, are there any of those in your area?    Your 302/351 is not going to be strange to a car guy, except for the cooling system and the marinization parts.     If you just want to do a carb rebuild, there is a guy on the Mastercraft team talk site that does Holley rebuilds for about $200 (exchange) if it's a carb problem, that should fix it.   His screen name is ThatsMrMastercraft.   (peter).   most of the inboard boats have similar engine gear in them, so another inboard enthusiast in your area might be able to help as well. Joe in NY comes to mind as someone to talk with to find good help in your area.    He hasn't been around much lately, but is a knowledgeable engine guy, and probably knows other knowledgeable guys to glean from or pay to have your boat repaired.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 7:56pm
Maybe there is a hot rod club in your area. Anybody that builds a Hrod can deal with a Holley.

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 9:30am
Folks - just wanted to thank you all for your generous help here. I found a mobile mechanic here on Long Beach Island NJ who was happy to take a trip out to diagnose and fix my problem. He determined that my carb needed a cleanout and fuel pump was failing. Both of the situations were resolved and she's running like a champ once again! Turning about 3850 at full throttle, which on the (obviously inaccurate) speedo is right around 44MPH. Is that where I should be? Thanks again, Francoman.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 2:18pm
Don't know what you have for a prop on it now, but the engine would be happier somewhere in the 4000 to 4500 rpm range at full throttle.

Your tach could be reading low though too, so I'd check the RPM's with something like a timing light with a built in tach first to verify what the RPM's are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francoamerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2017 at 2:46pm
Thanks a mil @KENO. I will check actual RPM with light and prop to suit (prolly next season as we're rapidly drawing to a close here in the northeast).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic