NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stallswhen put in gear

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stallswhen put in gear
    Posted: August-01-2017 at 1:03am
I recently had the factory Holley rebuilt on my 76 SN and now I notice a slight whistle from the starboard side of the engine. This coincides with the fact that now the boat will stall when I put it in gear. The specialty carb shop that did the rebuild noted that they plugged some leaks in the carb. Would any other vacuum leaks become more pronounced? And could this be the cause of the stalling? I really have to either feather, or play with the throttle, or just plain hammer the throttle to keep from stalling when I put it into gear. Otherwise, the boat runs great. Idle is set at factory specs (about 700rpm) but idles about 1100rpm until it warms up. I notice the vent line from the back of the carb to the starboard valve cover has no clamp. Should there be?

It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 8:40am
Sounds like maybe you have a slight vacuum leak.

I'd look at the gasket between the carburetor spacer and the engine along with the one between the carburetor and the spacer. You could spray a little soapy water around the gasket areas to find the leak. It's safer than spraying highly flammable stuff around the engine while it's running

That might fix your stalling going into gear or you might need to adjust your idle mixture screws to be a little richer. Assuming the carb shop set them at 1 1/2 turns out as a good starting point you may have to be a little farther out with them, but you should find the vacuum leak and fix it first.

That hose you mention goes to the PCV valve and it wouldn't hurt anything to put a clamp on it
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2017 at 11:25pm
Ya know, the carb shop gave me the two gaskets for both between the carb and the plate, and the plate and the manifold. But I didn't replace the lower one. I will do that next and continue in the search for vacuum leaks.

I'll take your advice and double check the idle screw to see how that changes things.
smac76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smac76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 11:01pm
Well whaddayaknow, I pulled the carb, pulled the throttle plate off, cleaned the deck and replaced the gasket on the bottom to go along with the new one I replaced on the top. and viola! No whistle, starts right up, idles nice, and all is good.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 11:16pm
Good job

And it didn't cost you anything
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic