Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pcm 40a rebuild?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mckeddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mckeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pcm 40a rebuild?
    Posted: August-02-2017 at 9:44am
Have a 92 nautique w a pcm 40a with a 1.23 drive ratio. It is in need of being rebuilt.    Have a few questions.    

The boat will occasionally move if you catch hear just right, but mostly does nothing.   

Is there a master rebuild kit available for this transmission? Or do I need to piece it together by buying a clutch kit and seals for it? Is there anything else I need to do get for sure and do while I'm in there?    Where should I be looking for parts at? I can't seem to find much on them.     The local marina quoted me $5800 to swap the transmission. I thought maybe they were giving me 2 spares for that price. Lol.

Or, should I bite the bullet and do the retrofit to the model 80 transmission? I can get the whole thing for $2300 from Marysville marine.    

This Is my first boat, and my first issue.    I've rebuilt plenty of car transmissions, I can't imagine one w just forward neutral and reverse being any more difficult.      

Thanks,
Greg.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2017 at 10:42am
Its not more difficult than a car transmission, but a bit different. Parts for those are hard to come buy and typically come only from PCM sources. Assuming you have already tried removing the cable and shifting by hand, as well as adding more fluid then it is probably time to pull it out and take it apart to see what you can see. If you have a broken drum or other hard part carnage buying a replacement might be your best bet.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic