Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel filter / Water separator location

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JIMBOCC94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMBOCC94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel filter / Water separator location
    Posted: August-07-2017 at 11:43am
Looking for help locating where on my boat/engine the fuel filter and water separator are located.

The boat is a 1994 Ski Nautique 19 ft closed bow with PCM 351 Por Boss engine...

Thanks...
~~~~~~\o/~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 2:43pm
My 1994 SNOB has the water/fuel separator mounted on the port side engine compartment, near the transmission.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2017 at 3:11pm
My 94 has the same location as JQ. Its an oil filter looking device, under the removable floor panel at the back of the boat.   You may have to remove the dog house and floor to see it.   the other type that came on the earlier models is black and orange, and has a replaceable filter element, if your's is different than mine is
JIMBOCC94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMBOCC94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2017 at 8:21am
Thanks guys, I will investigate... i knew someone on here would know. I have a feeling owning this boat and being part of this group is going to be a great experience. Again, thanks for the help!    
~~~~~~\o/~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gdenkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdenkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 3:18am
Mine is port side, under the muffler, outboard of the transmission.
94 Ski Nautique
JIMBOCC94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMBOCC94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 8:26am
Thank you gdenkman, after seeing your pics I now know the problem. It appears that a mechanic that worked on the boat previous to me removed the housing and filter and just put in a universal in-line filter. Probably because the filter/water sep elements aren't cheap... Dammit... now I'll have to have to find the housing to make it OEM...

Really appreciate the pic's
~~~~~~\o/~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2017 at 2:12pm
ski dim or Nautique parts should have both the filter and the housing
d_dumbauld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_dumbauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 2:30pm
Hey guys - I'm set to replace my fuel / water separator in my '94 with the HO 351. I haven't had much luck finding step-by-step instructions. I was wondering if anyone knows / has seen one posted?

If not, I'd be happy to be the first to try to document.

Thanks!
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 3:00pm
Are you just changing the filter, or changing the entire housing?

The filter is just like an oil filter - spins on and off, check to make sure the old gasket isn't stuck to the housing. It'll be full of fuel when you take it off, so have a catch pan ready.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2020 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

The filter is just like an oil filter - spins on and off,

FYI, not all are spin on cartridges. The early canister style has an element inside so the outer housing needs to come off. There are several treads on how difficult removal can be. Some to the point where the whole separator is removed, placed in a vise and then use a large pipe wrench on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_dumbauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 1:46pm
Thanks zwoobah. That’s good to know. I took a crack at spinning it off back in the fall. It was stuck on good and tight and I couldn’t get my standard oil wrench in good position.. so I’m wondering if there a preferred filter wrench that makes it easier? Since it’s tucked back in there pretty good, I was wondering if it makes sense to remove completely the engine cover? Floor board? to make access easier.   Or do folks have luck leaving that in place and using the right tool.

Thanks!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 2:02pm
David,
Is it a spin on or a canister?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_dumbauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 2:45pm
Looks like a spin on to me. But not 100%

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by d_dumbauld d_dumbauld wrote:

Looks like a spin on to me. But not 100%

Looks to me like it says "Spin on " on the side of the filter

And the filter adapter is the spin on type too in your other picture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_dumbauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:19pm
Ha so it does!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by d_dumbauld d_dumbauld wrote:

Ha so it does!

Now you're 100% sure

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d_dumbauld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 4:00pm
Yup! KENO - have you replaced the filter on this model before? Any tutorials you could point me to? thanks!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2020 at 4:10pm

Pretty much just what Zwoobah said below. Same filter wrench that fits your Ford oil filter will fit the fuel filter.

Because of the Anti Siphon valve on the tank only a little fuel will spill from the fuel line. A rag in the bilge under the filter should catch everything.

If you can pre fill the filter most of the way before screwing it back on, it saves on the amount of cranking necessary to get the system full and the engine running again.

And like an oil filter, put a little oil on the rubber gasket before installing and make sure the old gasket came off with the old filter.

If the anti siphon valve is broken/non functional you'll have the tank trying to empty itself into the bilge. Right about then it's good to have a pair of vise grips handy to squeeze the line shut    

Or if you're worried squeeze it shut before removing the filter. Some boats have a shutoff valve in the line also.

You don't exactly have a lot of room to work where yours is located

Originally posted by zwoobah zwoobah wrote:

Are you just changing the filter, or changing the entire housing?

The filter is just like an oil filter - spins on and off, check to make sure the old gasket isn't stuck to the housing. It'll be full of fuel when you take it off, so have a catch pan ready.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic