NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More 2000 smart pod questions...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More 2000 smart pod questions...
    Posted: August-10-2017 at 10:57am
Hey guys,

I should know this answer since I drive a 2000 sport nautique regularly

Friends just bought a 2000 Ski 196 and it requires the code to start it every time. I don't know how that works as our Sport doesn't require the code ever, in fact I don't even know what Sporty's code is.

Is there a way to totally disable the code all together? So you just hit start/stop? Done?

I'm sure there must be since Sporty ended up that way, somehow...

I also have perfect pass questions as I've never had a boat with that before...those will come I just want to get this code out of there. Thank you!!!

-Mike
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 1:08pm
The manual will tell you how to change, eliminate, etc. If they want a code I would suggest adding 2 codes, first one using only numbers on the left side and the second one only using numbers on the right, this way if a number key goes bad you can always use the second code. That is assuming that year can have 2 codes, the next gen pad definitely allows it. If you ever get locked out CC has a Master Code they can provide.

Go to the Perfect Pass site for manuals, you will likely need the manual as their menu system is not very intuitive.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 1:13pm
Manual.....I'll see if I have one laying around ;)

Thanks Q I appreciate the reply! That's a great idea on the numbers/code only one side and such. We're on our 2nd keypad in Sporty and 2nd PME box. Fun times
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 1:17pm
The code should only be required once to lock or unlock the console. Let's say your code is 3-4. You enter in 3-4 then press start once. That unlocks the console and you know that because a green LED lights up next to the pad.

From there on out it is just hold down start to start, press stop to stop as many times as you need to. A quick press of start is like IGN-ON, Holding start engages the starter.

Once you're done skiing and put the boat away, press 3-4 Stop and that locks the console again and puts it in a power-save mode. LED goes off.

Note that the 2000 boats should also have a master toggle switch retrofitted because after a few weeks they drain the battery via a slight parasitic draw just for the panel to be "awake" enough to accept a code. You only need to use this switch if not skiing for several days or more.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 1:19pm
So that's why I have to keep our sport nautique on the trickle charger? I wanted to install a main off switch in that boat, glad I'm not going crazy and it's a known issue!

I figured that crap dash had a draw somewhere. We use the boat once a week MAYBE and if it goes more than that she's dead.

I'll play with the code a little bit....basically: put the code in to start it, and as long as I never put the code in again it'll stay "unlocked"?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 1:23pm
This boat is weird....the radio (accessory mode) won't shut off with the STOP key unless I type the code in.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I figured that crap dash had a draw somewhere. We use the boat once a week MAYBE and if it goes more than that she's dead.

I'll play with the code a little bit....basically: put the code in to start it, and as long as I never put the code in again it'll stay "unlocked"?

Ha, all these years later and the competition STILL has not designed a nicer panel than they did for the 2000 so I'd say it's pretty darn good still. A work of art, really.

The code only toggles locked/unlocked state of the panel (other than "emergency" items like blower and bilge which are always available). That's really all you need to know. Unlock it, then you don't need the code after until such a time as you need to lock it again OR toggle off the master toggle switch after which of course it will forget that it is unlocked.

3-4 Start, then use boat as normal for whatever period of time

- Done using boat -

3-4 Stop.

Optionally then toggle off master.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 3:45pm
On the 2nd gen pad you do not have to have a code, essentially like leaving the key in the ignition at all times, guessing the first gen was the same way and how your sport is set up now. If you add a code then exactly as Joel described, after you enter the code-start, key is in ignition. Enter code-stop, key is removed. Additionally, on the gen2 if you do not code out (code-stop) the ignition will code out on it's own after a set period of time, 6 hours or something like that.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 4:09pm
Thanks for the replies guys.

Right now if I code-start I get the accessory status ie: radio and then start again and the boat will turn over.

NOW...if I press stop 100 times without entering the code the radio will stay on. So....that seems not right.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 4:16pm
LOL, read the replies again, that is right, stays in accy mode until you code it out, so 100 stops without a code first the ignition will remain in accy mode with light on, radio and everything else will work.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 4:21pm
I have the pad and my buddy has a key.......the key is way simple and everyone knows how they operate. just my opinion.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 4:22pm
Just saying I never have to code sporty

If I coded sporty 2 years go (put the key in it) I've never taken it out

This new 2000 196 I put the code in (the key in it) it still makes me take the key out if I want to shut it completely off.

I should take video...

Sporty: Start (accessory mode) start again (motor start)   Stop (motor off still in accessory mode) Stop again (accessory mode off/radio off) Never touch a code and it'll shut completely down.

Just saying there's a difference between the two but I can't figure out how or why that is. If I enter the code in the 196 once I should be good, stop stop should shut everything down like sporty but no dicey.

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 4:38pm
Let me try it another way, the code function is either on or off, if on a code is required to turn accy on and off. If the code function is turned off a code is not required EVER. Your sport likely has the function turned off (no code in system) and the other boat has the code function turned on (code in system).

Read the manual
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 4:40pm
Manual it is! Too lazy was hoping one of you would say, "yes press XYZ after you enter the code and boop! don't need it!"

Cool, that helps and makes sense Q. I will do some reading. Thank you very much guys!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 7:47pm
The more I read discussions on this topic, the more I like my key and ignition button.
92 Sport nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 10:16pm
Hah, sport-o's confusion should be no reflection on the functionality of the keypad. Knock on wood, 13 seasons old mine is working fine.

As far as the dead battery issue, I never turn off my toggle like Joel mentions and have not experienced dead battery issues ever,,Mine is a Gen2 pad, perhaps that is a Gen1 issue only??

The convenience of never having to worry about a key is pretty nice, ymmv.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

The convenience of never having to worry about a key is pretty nice, ymmv.

For those of you that haven't heard the story of CQ's keys, he makes a very valid point. I'll let him tell the story!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2017 at 11:04pm
If we went by CQ's way of doing things Pete we would not have platforms either
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2017 at 12:11am
I love the key pad in my 2002 Sport. I do turn the toggle switch to the off position when I put the boat on the trailer. It is not as hard to operate as it seems. I would like to get a new spare key pad and put it in my parts pile for future use if needed. I do not enter the code before hitting stop at the end of the day. I too need to read my manual.

1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic