Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator for an 1982 Ski Natique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MarkSN82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkSN82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator for an 1982 Ski Natique
    Posted: July-14-2006 at 3:40pm
Help! I need to find an alternator for a 1982 Ski Natique. I would like to find one in the Dallas area but I will pay shipping.

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2006 at 5:36pm
Do you have time to get yours rebuilt locally...any automotive alternator/starter rebuilder can rebuild the marine unit? Otherwise, contact Discount Inboard Marine
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2006 at 5:41pm
best deal on the net ,                     http://www.amarket.com/mes3144m.htm
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2006 at 1:48pm
get the alternator from skidim and get a new wiring harness and the upgrade kit to replace the external regulator and have it shipped. Scrape what's on the boat now and don't try and have it re-built because the external regulator is most likely bad as well.
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 12:24am
i have a prestolite of 1977 southwind 351w rr just rebuilt. can ship from mn if it helps
gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 6:48am
For reference on my '82 PCM I found the harness and new bracketry kit unneccessary, it all lined up and only modest wiring modification. If wires scare you, go with the kit.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 3:35pm
Is there a difference in Marine Alternators? I know that car and marine starters are different but is there anything that make the alternator marine specific?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2006 at 3:39pm
YES
82/2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82/2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2006 at 5:30pm
While a automobile alternator looks the same, and it will charge your boat battery, it may also send you to the great lake in the hereafter. Marine alternators/starters etc are sealed not only to prevent water intrusion, they also are sealed to prevent explosions.
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2006 at 5:06pm
kinda like the starter will work but might do the same thing. got it, thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2006 at 8:03am
Originally posted by 82/2001 82/2001 wrote:

While a automobile alternator looks the same, and it will charge your boat battery

this only applys to a late model single wire alternator. If it is an older model they do not look the same and there are more wire connections on a marine unit vs automotive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic