Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Outboard fuel issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outboard fuel issue
    Posted: August-26-2017 at 8:31am
I have a 4 hp 4 stroke outboard on my sailboat. It runs great when it gets fuel. I use an external tank at the other end of a six foot hose. When pumping the priming bulb, it sounds like air is being blown back into the tank. This happened with the new hose and the one it replaced. Is this normal? Is there a check valve in the tank?
Jim
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 9:23am
Primer bulbs have and inlet and an outlet check valve in them.

They're spring loaded ball check valves.

There's no check valve in the tank

It sounds like the inlet check valve is leaking or you have the bulb on backwards.

Usually there's an arrow on the bulb that should point toward the engine.

Maybe the new bulb is defective
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 10:21am
The aftermarket bulbs are junk.   Get an OEM one, it will work much better.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 11:36am
I suppose it really doesn't make sense to run a fuel pump, regulator and return line for a 4 HP, but that is how my outboard is set up... HA! Sounds like these guys have you headed in the right direction.
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 1:04pm
I just bought a OEM primer bulb and swapped out the old one, confirmed for the 1oo0th time the arrow point toward the engine. Still same thing -- bulb is soft, When it is squeezed, I can hear air going back into the tank. When released, no feel of fuel being drawn from the tank., Repeating many times does not change things. Any ideas?
Jim
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 2:55pm
Maybe the oring on the hose/tank connector is bad, allowing air to be sucked in.

You could test this by hooking up a line to the bulb & pulling directly from a can of gas.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2017 at 4:55pm
The pick up tube in the fuel tank may be cracked sucking air, the primer bulb would not pump up tight on my outboard this year and that was the problem, had the same problem 4 years ago. Drop a fuel line direct into the tank, if the bulb pumps up tight that may be the problem, I made me a pick up tube out of copper this time.
shadow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic