NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'83 nautique stumbles/dies at warm idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '83 nautique stumbles/dies at warm idle
    Posted: August-27-2017 at 11:40pm
I have read many threads about the earlier Nautiques that idle poorly and/or stall when warm/hot, I thought I'd share this weekends experience...maybe it will help others.

The boat: '83 Nautique w/ 351 Commander, 640 hours, 1 owner.
My buddy (owner) has long complained of this problem. We replaced the intake manifold gasket several years ago and it improved, but didn't cure problem. Replaced the carburetor with the correct-spec Holley 3 years ago. Last full tune-up also got new plug wires. But it still continued to have this issue.

So I did a full tune-up last Friday. Plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor. Most of the parts that came out looked good..

But what had never been changed before was the coil. It was still painted Commander blue. I installed a new MSD coil of the correct resistance. It started and ran noticeable smoother on the trailer, so we went to the lake yesterday. It ran beautifully, on a hot day. Pulled smoothly, idled and restarted perfectly without a hint of loading up, stalling,

A failed coil is tough to pinpoint, but in this case, it appears to be the answer.

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2017 at 10:20am
The insulation on the thin gage wires inside a coil is basically varnish, so it is pretty easy to see how they could partially short out with vibration. It would still work, just lose ouput voltage.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic