Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle lever stuck?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
HEMI_36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEMI_36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle lever stuck?
    Posted: September-01-2017 at 9:13am
Hello to all of you boat experts๐Ÿ‘‹

First off I appreciate any and all responses. I am a new member however have read many forum discussions in the past. Your forum discussions have saved me a lot of time and money.

I recently bought a 1999 Air Nautique.
It has the 502 Python 430hp. I will try and add a picture.

It has run quite well for the past few weeks however. Last night in the middle of the lake in the dark after some fishing and ready to come home the engine started, however the throttle lever would not move from the neutral position. I could press the gear disengagement button and have the idol go up however it would not go into gear forward or reverse. After struggling with it for a few minutes I was able to come up with a plan which was disengaging the throttle cable's from the main engine and manually putting it into gear and manually pulling the throttle wire with one hand and steering with the other. Obviously it was a slow trip home however manage to get it to the dock safely.   

Can anyone tell me what they think is broken or has come out of adjustment with my controls ?   I am certainly no mechanic however I'm quite mechanically capable of figuring most things out.   Clearly I don't always know the correct names for Parts however I understand how most of the systems on the engine work.

Thank you in advance to all who read this post and again I appreciate any feedback ๐Ÿ‘

Cheers!    
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 9:57am
Raise the engine cover and see if the trans is shifting at the transmission when the shifter is moved. Could be a stuck or broken cable and or shifter mechanism. In the reference section is a manual for a Morse control unit. If that is what it is. Not real familiar with your boat. I rebuilt my controller this spring and it is fairly straight forward.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 10:03am
Seized shift cable or an interference at the control side is my bet. Sometimes a sloppy connection with the pivots and cotter pins can get caught. Time to take a look.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 10:38am
Or it could be right in the shift/throttle lever itself,maybe something happened in the safety collar/pawl assembly. +1 on time to take a look
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 10:59am
Luckily you can still get that throttle assemble worst case from CC. Something probably came loose and is jamming up the shift mechanism.
HEMI_36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEMI_36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 11:00am
Thank you very much guys. I will definitely check those areas tonight after work.
I couldn't see much last night with my flashlight in the dark. Lol.

I'll post back after my assessment ๐Ÿ‘

Does anyone know how to post a picture and find my diary ID on this forem?
1999 Air Nautique
502 Python 430hp
Port Carling ON CAN

Barefoot enthusiast ๐Ÿ‘ฃ
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2017 at 1:29pm
You post the dairy posting separate from your User profile. When you create the diary positing, you should be given the id. You can add the ID to your forum profile.

Edit to add: If you have already post the diary entry you can see the ID in the URL of your browser when looking at the page.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
HEMI_36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HEMI_36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 10:43am
So, I took apart the throttle control and disconnected the cables. The gear shifter cable was completely seized. On the outside of the housing it was melted in a spot. I guess it was mounted to close to the engine or pulley at some point or got moved when I was cleaning the inside hull.

I was able to source 2 new cables at Gordon Bay Marine in Minet. If any of you are ever up this way they have a terrific service and parts department. Pride Marine in Orillia is also fantastic.

Anyway it turns out that Yamaha outboard cables are an exact size and fit. 17' in my case. Very easy replacement. (Just remember to tie a rope to the end of the old cables when removing to make life easy when stringing in the new ones. A fish tape will work but way more effort.

Boat is back up and running and the shifting and Throttle is butter smooth!

Thank you again to all that responded. All your advice and help is very appreciated ๐Ÿ‘
1999 Air Nautique
502 Python 430hp
Port Carling ON CAN

Barefoot enthusiast ๐Ÿ‘ฃ
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 11:50am
Glad you got it sorted. Cable routing is fairly important for long life.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic