NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weak starter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Its no wonder it's so hard to find someone who rebuilds starters around here, when you can get rebuilt units on eBay I wonder if the internals are of decent quality... but with a 1yr warranty I can't imagine they're that bad.

Tim, read the bottom line. Makes it worth while to put one on the shelf.   That even sweetens the deal more

Specifications:
Unit Type     Starter
Voltage     12
Rotation     CCW
Teeth     9
Starter Type     DD
Brief     MARINE APPLICATIONS WITH FORD ENGINES
B+ STUD
Item Condition       New    

Don't want Joe to buy one of these for his GT40 though 'cause it'll turn the engine over backwards.

Remember ARCO 70200 or something that cross references to it for the small high torque starter that rotates the right way.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 11:22am
Take it apart clean it up and put it back together -- if you find big chunks of magnets or something melted then move on and get a replacement. I don't know if I am too cheap to buy a replacement or just too lazy to order one - but its been a long time since I couldn't get one back in the game with a bit of emery paper, contact cleaner, and compressed air. I have taken to holding the brushes in place with little zip ties until I get them partially inserted and then removing the zip ties... I suspect somewhere there is a slicker tool for that but I have been too lazy to order one.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Take it apart clean it up and put it back together -- if you find big chunks of magnets or something melted then move on and get a replacement. I don't know if I am too cheap to buy a replacement or just too lazy to order one - but its been a long time since I couldn't get one back in the game with a bit of emery paper, contact cleaner, and compressed air. .

Joe,
I'm sure glad someone else thinks the same as I do with starters. I've been chastised too many times here even suggesting opening up a starter!! BTW, I'm sure you know that new brushes are available and not expensive but typically not needed due to the low run hours on a starter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Don't want Joe to buy one of these for his GT40 though 'cause it'll turn the engine over backwards.

Remember ARCO 70200 or something that cross references to it for the small high torque starter that rotates the right way.

Yeah I got that, though I'm a bit slow with some of this stuff since direct drives are all new to me - thanks for clarifying though...

Funny, I was reading another post a couple days ago where you were discussing rotation of an older (1980?) SN and had said CCW. I had to stop for a minute and go check mine because I had already taken delivery of a used 422 RH from a buddy of mine - thought that might be a bit embarrassing if I had to see if he would take it back because it was the wrong hand    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2017 at 7:01pm
This whole rotation thing can be kinda confusing.

You have a standard rotation engine so it needs a clockwise rotating starter if you decide to get one, which the Arco 70200 is.

Then you have a 1.23 to 1 pcm transmission which reverses the direction of rotation inside the transmission.

That means your LH (normal rotation) engine is spinning a RH (reverse rotation) prop

And that means your Acme 422 RH prop is correct for your boat and will make your boat go forward when you want it to

I think you understand that already, just thought I'd say it again
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2017 at 1:06am
Well I finally got around to installing a new Arco starter using Gary's link to Discount Marine.   Works perfect, cranks strong and much faster than before. Guess the old starter was just ... old. And weak.    

Thanks to all for your input !!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2017 at 7:31am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Being one of those types that likes to have spare parts on hand, I'd buy another starter and put it in. Then you'll know if there's a difference and you'll have a spare starter too for the day when you need it..

A little voice in my head says you have a weak starter mostly because a GT-40 will turn over just as fast as any other 351

Like Gary said ARCO 70200 or something that cross references to it

It's a clockwise rotating starter which is what you need for your normal rotation Ford.

I figured you'd get there eventually.

Maybe you can send your old starter to Pete for a fluff and buff

I wouldn't get rid of it, keep it around as a spare that you know will at least work or tear into it and do your own fluff and buff

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2017 at 7:49am
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Being a kindred spirit, this is exactly what my inner voice was telling me to do...
The wife was hoping I was deaf to the inner voice   

Those inner voices are usually smarter than we think
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic