NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive 71C rebuild trouble

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2017 at 8:13pm
You asked about cable adjustment earlier.

If you look at the link below there are well written instructions on adjusting both the throttle and transmission cables

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]
This is a link that's in the FAQ thread in the maintenance section.
[/QUOTE
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Craig,
How many reverse plates did you install and how many old ones were removed?

Good call Pete

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
RoosterFeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoosterFeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2017 at 11:37pm
Came home a little early from work and pulled the transmission and took the extra plate out. I got it back together and ran to the lake. Successful test! Everything worked great.   Thank you guys for the help. I still need to know how to fix my NSS.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2017 at 6:17am
Originally posted by RoosterFeather RoosterFeather wrote:

Thank you guys for the help. I still need to know how to fix my NSS.

Craig,
I'm glad we were able to help and you are now back out on the water. Regarding the NSS, I agree with Duane that the first thing to do is check it out for continuity with the VOM. The switch has a N.C. contact. If it checks, then I suggest checking if the actuator ball is mechanically going into the cam detent. Is the NSS adaptor plate mounted in the proper position?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2017 at 8:15am
Earlier you mentioned that your NSS had no wires going to it.

You never mentioned what kind of boat, but this 351 wiring diagram has what would be a typical NSS wiring job regardless of brand

When you turn the key, power from the key has to pass thru the NSS to get to the S terminal on your solenoid.

Maybe you have some wires just dangling or maybe not, but easy enough to wire up.

Just don't put any extra wires in that you don't need

Good job on the transmission by the way.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2017 at 8:44am
Craig,
I'd like to add that the wires to and from the NSS may be white and not the red as labeled in the wiring diagram that Ken posted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2017 at 9:12am
Yellow/red and white are the 2 common NSS wire colors. (White is the earlier convention).

Depending on the DMM, a continuity check may or may not reveal a bad NSS. It does not take much internal resistance to drop voltage enough to prevent solenoid actuation. I saw this recently on a freshly rewired boat (NSS was bad but tested good).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2017 at 9:20am
Pete

Ya gotta admit, that's an excellent diagram though wherever it came from.,

I bet Tim would agree with me

And good question on the plates Pete, who'd have thought he'd cram an extra in there
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic