NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick question
    Posted: September-28-2017 at 3:11pm
I can't for the life of me remember what size doug fir I bought for the Tique stringer job, was it 2x10x14 or 2x12x14? I do remember the 8% moisture content. lol

Im at work at the moment or I would measure it.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2017 at 7:38pm
I would think 2x10 would be more than wide enough.
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2017 at 9:46pm
Yeah I got home and measured. Im havin trouble findin fir again, 15% is the lowest Ive found.
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2017 at 10:45pm
Stick stack it somewhere hot for awhile.

forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2017 at 11:27pm
Where? Lol winter is coming. Plans are to have this thing done by summer boat wise. Motor anorher story. Dont know much about it otjer than it turns by hand.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 12:22am
Hell your in SC I doesn't even get cold down there!!!
Stick them in the attic for a couple of weeks that should do it
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 9:25am
Find a local mill with a kiln and ask them if they can help out if your in that much of a hurry
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by forvicjr forvicjr wrote:

Yeah I got home and measured. Im havin trouble findin fir again, 15% is the lowest Ive found.

Where are you finding this Fir? You may need to go beyond the home improvement stores or lumber yards that store their construction lumber outside. Have you tried HD with inside lumber storage? How about specialty lumber store?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2017 at 10:16pm
Pete the Lowes or Home depots can't even get it. Builders First source is my contact and they have been searchin high and low, with no luck...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 6:40am
Vic,
LVL is certainly an option.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 7:55am
Wished I could gun driver.Just a small push up for attic access. O well....
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 8:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Vic,
LVL is certainly an option.

Pete, you up there where fir should be easy to find, put your feelers out for me. LOL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 8:27am
Well, you could always go with the "high end" lumber but I think the shipping would be a killer!! Yes, all our construction grade lumber over a 2x6 at the HD is Doug Fir. BTW, LL Johnson is where Alan got his lumber for the Hurricane.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 8:42am
Vic,
You mentioned you found some at 18%. Think about Paul's idea of stickering it. Band and weigh it and then run gentle warm air across it moving the heater frequently plus flipping the stack. I feel it may only take 3 to 4 weeks to get the 10% out needed.

Have you considered LVL?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 9:54am

Pete the Lowes or Home depots can't even get it. Builders First source is my contact and they have been searchin high and low, with no luck...

I am not sure where in SC you are but in the local Charlotte area I would be surprised if the following could not help source the Doug Fir
Mathews Building Supply
H&S Lumber
Queen City Lumber
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 11:34am

Vic,
You mentioned you found some at 18%. Think about Paul's idea of stickering it. Band and weigh it and then run gentle warm air across it moving the heater frequently plus flipping the stack. I feel it may only take 3 to 4 weeks to get the 10% out needed.

Have you considered LVL?

No ob the LVL, Rather go fir even If I have to wait out getting it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 12:15pm

I agree I don't like the idea of the LVL either
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I agree I don't like the idea of the LVL either

I'm curious as to why?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 9:02pm
Hollow pockets, glue and plywood being subjected to moisture without free air ventilation to dry as would be when not encapsulated in glass.
Just trust solid wood over laminated sheets.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Hollow pockets, glue and plywood being subjected to moisture without free air ventilation to dry as would be when not encapsulated in glass.
Just trust solid wood over laminated sheets.

Paul,
You are thinking too much about conventional plywood and LVL is not plywood. Yes, it is made up with layers of veneer without the typical voids you find in plywood. All the grain in the veneers runs the same direction giving it the strength plus the glue used actually adds to it's strength. Also, a LVL is stronger than solids with the same cross section. Moisture? I certainly would not use it in a boat without a CPES and epoxy treatment but I sure wouldn't use a solid without the treatment ether! BTW, a LVL comes with less than a 4% moisture content so it does not need additional drying! Have you ever worked with LVL, PSL or LSL?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 10:59am

all our construction grade lumber over a 2x6 at the HD is Doug Fir.

Really?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Really?

That is not the same situation all across the country. Around here 4x4s are douglas fir but that's it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 11:18am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Really?

That is not the same situation all across the country. Around here 4x4s are douglas fir but that's it.

Yes, the farther east and south you go, there's less Doug Fir

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 12:02pm
There are some specialty lumber suppliers that have kiln dried Doug fir such as Berkshire Products in Ashley Falls, Ma. I bought some there and took it down to the original thickness for the Junior. I was able to get a full 1 5/8 in thickness and very clean nice lumber.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 12:12pm
There are specialty places around here that sell Doug Fir. I've bought a few boards during the past year and cost about $100 per board, I can't imagine HD stocks anything like this stuff.   HD stocks SPF around here like every other lumber yard.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2017 at 12:23pm
The douglas fir 4x4s at HF are typically pretty respectable not old growth or anything but straight and clean of knots for the most part - I rip it down for projects relatively often and it cleans up nice. I suspect the stuff out west would make perfectly good stringer substrate.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2017 at 12:31am
So still no luck on Doug fir. I guess I might grab the 15% thats availible and strap it and let it sit a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic