NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine ID- stumped

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Messer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine ID- stumped
    Posted: October-05-2017 at 5:01pm
This is not for my 87 Nautique, but I am stumped. My cousin has a boat with a 350 Chevy Mercruiser inboard. The number stamped just below the passenger side head is V0222DRX (Flint MI engine built on 22 Feb), but I can't figure out what the DRX stands for.
   His/our issue is someone "repaired' the engine and now it's kaput. Since it is not a CC I lose sight of some of the standards that usually apply.
So question-
1. Does anyone know what DRX stands for?

Next, I am unsure of the rotation. Why, because the jackleg that "repaired" it may have changed the starter not knowing about counter rotation or standard in boats. So the typical "look at the rotation from the rear" doesn't work.

From the stern the propeller indicates it is a LH or standard rotation, but the trans (Borg Warner, 10-17-006, 71C, 1.52:1), if I read right, mimics the engine rotation, but can easily be switched to counter the engine shaft rotation.
Next question-
2. Does anyone know for sure if the 71c 10-17-006 can be manipulated to turn counter to the engine shaft or is it strictly a one way (goes the rotation of the engine shaft) trans?

After that, how can you tell if it is LH or RH without knowing if the right starter is on it, and also not knowing if the trans is reversed?

Are there any numbers on the engine block that I missed that will tell you. The manifold firing order is stamped as standard, but since the engine is rebuilt any manifold may have been placed on it.

Thanks for any input guys!
Johnnie
1987 Ski Nautique
1981 Fish Nautique
1980 Fish Nautique
1979 Fish Nautique
1986 Master Craft
1984 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2017 at 5:40pm
An easy foolproof way is to take off the distributor cap and crank the engine over with the starter.

This is a Chevy you're dealing with so the distributor turns clockwise whether it's a reverse rotation engine or a normal rotation engine.

Read the previous sentence 2 or 3 times to make sure you got that down

If the rotor is going clockwise while you crank it, the engine is being turned the right way by the starter.

If it's going counterclockwise you have the wrong rotation starter in it and it ain't ever gonna start.
Messer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2017 at 5:54pm
Dang Keno, your right... I knew that, but managed to completely overlook it. Thanks you sir! I truly appreciate it. ...In my defense, I am 50 now and ....well, ha
Johnnie
1987 Ski Nautique
1981 Fish Nautique
1980 Fish Nautique
1979 Fish Nautique
1986 Master Craft
1984 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2017 at 6:03pm
A 10-17-006 sounds like a Mastercraft powerslot. transmission.

I'd figure out if the engine is turning the right way before worrying about the transmission but a 10-17-006 will only turn the same way as the engine.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic