NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hook and handling from the Tique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hook and handling from the Tique
    Posted: October-14-2017 at 12:39am
Ok. I have everything out of the Tique and searching for fir. In the meantime I was thinking about how the porposing is a real problem with these boats. Is there anything that I could do to modify this condition while doing the stringer work? In example blocking the boat to add some hook engine position/ angle? I know not much movement of any mentioned is doable but maybe a little of all. In example engine placed forward of factort, lil higher shaft angle, blocking keel to add hook before stringers get bedded? Just wondering and picking you alls brain, lol
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2017 at 10:48am
Vic,
It's my opinion that you would be getting into a dangerous territory. The danger with eliminating the porpoising is "planting" the nose and that can lead to some other handling problems like uncontrolled abrupt turns. I would leave the hull as is and if you want to experiment add some temporary "hook" at the aft end of the hull bottom. I have seen half oval stainless bedded and screwed on hulls. The PO of my X55 had it but when I put the new bottom on the hull, I did not reinstall the pieces. I live with the slight porpoise which only happens when there's weight in the aft seat. My Tique will start to porpoise around 40 but I live with it as well. Modification to the hull or prop shaft angle is more or less on the permanent side. BTW, the oval on the bottom will slow the hull down!

Half oval:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2017 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Vic,
It's my opinion that you would be getting into a dangerous territory. I would leave the hull as is and if you want to experiment add some temporary "hook" at the aft end of the hull bottom.

Pete is absolutely correct here!!!   The key word here is "temporary".   The other day I was playing around on my Mustang and added hook where Pete says. I used paint stir sticks from Port to Starboard sides of the hull. Duct taped them in place. Could not even get to 30 mph before it leaned hard to Port side. Then I thought maybe take one side off and see what happens. Before I could get back to the dock the Starboard side came loose on its own. Now the Starboard side rose extremely high and started a right turn that you could not correct.
Bottom line here is to take baby steps and make everything temporary until you achieve the results you want. BTW I have two 6 X 6 tabs that I built into the hull at the stern. I can adjust them down manually about 3/8" independently of each other. They serve my purpose well without planting the nose and get rid of the porpoising.
Be very CAREFUl.    Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
forvicjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forvicjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2017 at 1:43pm
Notes taken, just was thinking if handling and how I could correct it now. I lowered my engine on the other Tique and stopped the porpoising completely on smooth water. Guess Ill see how this one handles once done and go from there. thanks all...
“Tact is the ability to step on a man's toes without messing up the shine on his shoes.” ― Harry S. Truman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic