Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel system issues - help please

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79ntique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79ntique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel system issues - help please
    Posted: October-29-2017 at 12:31am
After having my 79 Nautique carb rebuilt, I have not been able to keep it running below 1500 rpm's ?   After re-installing the carb, it ran great for about an hour, but will now only run at 1/4 throttle and up.   I think I've checked all of the basics (new fuel filter, cleaned anti-siphon valve, new fuel pump). It would seem that something happened with the carb rebuild, but I pulled the carb and it ran good on a dyno-engine at the carb shop.

Can anyone offer troubleshooting advice ?

Thanks

'79 Nautique, 351 Commander, 4 barrel, Holley D4JL -- 9510, elec choke,   New fuel filer cartridge, new fuel pump (7-9 psi).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 12:44am
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Did you replace the gasket between the spacer and the manifold along with the one between the carburetor and the spacer.?

Some gaskets don't fit real well between the spacer and manifold leading to a vacuum leak and the symptoms you have.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 8:30am
Sound like a candidate for the old ether, or propane leak check.   Only us old guys know that trick. Right Pete, and KEN???
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 8:42am
Duane,
I prefer the propane trick as is less volatile!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 8:50am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 10:05am
I went through this about a year ago when I put a 4bbl on the Shamrock. If a Commander is the same as a PCM there isn't a aftermarket gasket that will fit a stock iron manifold and the pcv adapter. They are not off by much but enough to cause trouble. You need to use a genuine PCM gasket. If I have them here I will post a picture later, I have extras since they are hard to get. I'm not pulling a Ken and taking it apart.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 10:26am
Here's a picture from the past of the bottom of a PCM spacer. Not a lot of sealing area there and like Gary said it's a tough thing to seal with aftermarket gaskets.

Fairly easy to make your own from a piece of gasket material from most any parts store or buy the PCM gasket.

Just need to make it bigger around the outside edges

Put the spacer on the gasket material and trace around the outside and then cut it about 1/4 inch bigger on the edges

Inside can be the original size

79ntique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79ntique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 11:45pm
Thanks guys-- the leaking gasket makes complete sense; I'll test it out in a few days, but I think you are spot on with the fix. I installed a new base gasket, but it was an aftermarket, looked close, but must have failed after an hour of running... I really appreciate your help;

after 20 years of tinkering with this thing, I think I know it, but I often prove myself wrong --

thanks again..   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic