Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 351 Ford fuel issues at startup only

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NautiqueOasis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueOasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 351 Ford fuel issues at startup only
    Posted: November-05-2017 at 3:50am
The last few times I have had my boat out it takes multiple tries to get the engine to start when cold; seems like it is not getting gas initially. Once I get it started, the engine runs like a top with no problems starting it later that day. Suggestions?
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 4:26am
If you’ve been starting your boat in late October and early November, it’s probably a lot colder than what you’re set up for. More choke via adjustment or a few pumps of the throttle before engaging the starter may be all you need to solve this little issue.

I sure would not adjust the choke now for what few days you might have left even in warm sunny OH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueOasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 11:52am
It has been an ongoing issue during the last three outings in Aug/early Sept. When it occurred again when I was winterizing the boat last Thursday, I decided to post the problem.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 1:00pm
My buddy’s carbureted 351 MC acts the same way. He needs a good carb cleaning, chicken leaning and adjustment and spark plugs which he’s going to tend to thisnoff-season.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueOasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 1:53pm
Carburetor rebuilt by professional in July and spark plugs looked good at that time
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 2:01pm
Did it run properly and start better before the carb rebuild?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by NautiqueOasis NautiqueOasis wrote:

seems like it is not getting gas initially.

That might be exactly what's happening. I'd check the fuel flow from the tank, anti-siphon valve, put a fuel pressure gauge on and see what it reads on cold start.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 4:23pm
Could be but if it runs fine at full throttle I sort of doubt there’s a pressure issue. Still thinking choke or idle fuel mixture perhaps a bit off.

Did the carb rebuilder tune the carb on the engine?
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 9:05am
Seems to me this is only doing this to you in the colder months of the season. My 89 does the same thing at any temp below 60-65 degrees and has done so since 1989. Once it's up to temp it runs flawlessly. some things are worth opening a can of worms for, this is not one of them IMO.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 11:07am
I concur,

colder = more pumps prior to turning

Pumping while cranking is not the same thing and is less effective

Also longer duration between uses can leave the bowls empty due to evap, making your first efforts nill.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by NautiqueOasis NautiqueOasis wrote:

It has been an ongoing issue during the last three outings in Aug/early Sept. When it occurred again when I was winterizing the boat last Thursday, I decided to post the problem.

Guys, he said it has been the same since August, so not cold related.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 1:49pm
It was actually a cold August for us up here this year.
it may very well not be his problem but a cold carbureted engine always appreciates a pump or two before you start it.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 1:56pm
Oh I definitely agree, I have a 454 with no choke that needs lots of accelerator pump help to start and keep running, Just was clarifying that it wasn't just an October 50 degree issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 2:06pm
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 2:56pm
Dan,
You must have missed these questions when you were on site last evening.
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Answering them may help us get a better idea of what's wrong.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueOasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 2:40am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dan,
You must have missed these questions when you were on site last evening.

Answering them may help us get a better idea of what's wrong.

Sorry that I did not answer the post questions earlier. Unfortunately, we had some flash flood water damage to our property Sunday nite so I have been preoccupied cleaning up debris.

Here is the history with my son's new to him '89 ski w351; I have a houseboat on a lake on the KY/TN border and that is where any mechanical issues were fixed:
Took boat out for the first trip to the lake in early June; tuned up boat replacing points and condenser; plugs in good shape; boat started and ran well.
Two weeks later, the carburetor seals started leaking profusely so it had to be rebuilt. Our mechanic (who is very good) sent the carburetor to a racing buddy of his who specializes in carburetors. I am not sure what specifically our mechanic did when he reinstalled the carburetor on the engine but boat started and ran well when we got it back from him for 4th of July weekend.
In mid July, starter died so had to replace it; boat started and ran well again with this fix.
Last weekend in July; boat started and ran well again with no issues. My son brought the boat back home to Ohio so he could use it on some local lakes Aug-Sept.
2-3 weeks later Mid August (air temp still high 70s - low 80s); 1st time he noticed having the problem starting the boat; once it fired up boat ran well with no further starting issues that day.
On two subsequent outings later (1-2 weeks apart and still very moderate temperatures), he encountered the same starting issue but again once started ran well all day.
His season was finished after Labor Day; boat stored in garage for about 6 weeks
About two weeks ago, I was helping him do his 1st winterization with his boat. The boat took 10 minutes or so to fire up even longer than what he encountered in his last few outings; Temperature was in the low 60s.
From some of the previous posts, he probably needs to make sure that he pumps the throttle more before engaging the starter. Any other thoughts? Really appreciate the feedback!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2017 at 10:30am
You might want to take off flame arrestor & observe that it is actually squirting gas during the pre-start pumps.   Put the FA back on before starting of course. Maybe the carb bowl leaks down during rest, who knows.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic