Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What size fuel sender for '97 Super Sport?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bobruffner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobruffner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size fuel sender for '97 Super Sport?
    Posted: November-05-2017 at 12:52pm
Hi - I need to replace fuel sender and want to use newer type. Does anybody know size I should order 7.5" or 9"? Thanks
bobruffner
1997 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 1:28pm
Jim,
I'm sure someone will be able to confirm the needed length but I'd just like to add to make sure you get the matching Ohm range.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobruffner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 3:25pm
Thanks for pointing that out, The replacement I am looking at from SkiDIM #102110 is listed as 240 to 30 ohms - does that sound correct?
bobruffner
1997 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 4:09pm
Jim,
The 240/30 Ohm is typical so I feel you are good as long as you haven't changed the gauge to something different. What's wrong with your sender? Have you done any testing to determine it's the actual problem? Is the tank grounded?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jim,
Is the tank grounded?

I slipped up here! Your tank will be plastic so the sender base needs a good ground.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobruffner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 7:42pm
Hi Pete -

1. Just checked continuity between fuel sender ground and Battery negative terminal and it reads 0 ohms so I think ground is ok.
2. With +lead to sender disconnected I checked ohm reading and sender reads 264ohms. I estimate 3/4 to 7/8 full tank of gas so if 330ohms is max reading with full tank that seems fairly reasonable.
4. With key in run position I checked open circuit voltage on + sender lead wire while not connected to sender and I got 9.1V. Battery voltage at battery is +12.1V.
5, Cleaned mounting lug and reattached + sender lead and voltage at sender reads +6.2V.
6. Fuel gauge is reading very slightly above empty. It does move up slightly when key is moved from off to run position however.

How is the voltage determined on the + lead to the sender - does it come from the gauge itself with a series resistor inside? Or is there some other circuit inside? I was kind of expecting +12V going to fuel sender open circuit.

I've always had a problem with the fuel gauge since I bought the boat. With a full tank the gauge would read about 3/4 tank and tank would be empty when gauge shows about 1/4 tank. (field proven testing much to the dismay of my passengers that hot summer day 4 years ago).

I took a road trip from MI to Dale Hollow Lake this summer to view the eclipse and when I arrived fuel gauge consistently read empty... that is a big lake to run out of gas on with spotty cell phone coverage... my nerves are shot.

Any ideas what I should look for?

Thanks
Jim
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 7:54pm
The typical 30 to 240 ohm sender that Pete mentioned will give a reading of about 240 ohms when the tank is empty and a reading of about 30 when the tank is full.

Not sure where you came up with the 330 ohms number.

That 30 to 240 is a standard for USA fuel gauges.

I think it's really 33 ohms on the high end instead of 30 but what's a few ohms.

It sorta sounds like you're off by a factor of 10 on your ohmmeter readings and maybe you're seeing 26.4 ohms Edit don't pay any attention to this sentence about being off by a factor of 10 now that I think about it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 8:00pm
Jim,
What voltage do you get going to (not the sender wire) the gauge?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 8:15pm
Here's a link to one of Pete's favorite websites (I think) with some good troubleshooting info. It's for Teleflex fuel gauges but the basics are the same no matter what brand since the 33/240 ohm range is a standard.for USA gauges for many many years now.

troubleshooting link
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2017 at 8:57pm
Here is the place who actually makes the senders,you can order them direct and get the length you need--

"For Fuel/Water senders, the length should be 1" less than the depth of the tank if tank is plastic, and 0.5" less than the depth of the tank if tank is metal. This is to account for possible tank flex"
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobruffner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 12:14am
Hi Pete / Gary -
Not sure why I typed 330ohms instead of 240ohms.
Thanks for posting that link to check gauge and sender, I just shorted across fuel sender and gauge moved to full, So gauge is working ok, everything points to defective fuel sender.
I didn't remove the existing fuel sender but outside dimension of tank is 10" high in middle where sender mounts so I'm probably going to order 8" (allowing for thickness of plastic, flexing of plastic tank, and the specified 1" clearance).
2 remaining questions:
1. There are 5 mounting screws or bolts, is there a mounting ring inside the tank these thread into or do they just go into the plastic of the tank?
2. What type of sealant do you use to make the seal or is the gasket sufficient?
Thanks again for your help.
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobruffner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 12:16am
Also thanks to Keno!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 7:42am
If you read the link below, Jonny Quest went with the recommendation from WEMA and put in one that was 1 inch shorter than the tank and wishes he went with something that got closer to the bottom. He has 8 gallons left when it's empty

I think your 2 inches shorter idea will tell you that your tank is empty when you still have 12 plus gallons in it.

I put one in a metal tank and it goes to just about the bottom and when it was totally empty and I put in about 2 gallons it started to indicate on the needle

The linked thread also has a link to Jonny's original thread

I'd get a 9 inch one like the recommendation or maybe even a 9 1/2 based on Jonny's numbers. You'll be safe with a 9.

Maybe Jonny will come along with a recommendation

old thread
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 9:09am
Or maybe even pull the tank and measure the inside height so you can be sure you’re ordering the right one? Tank needs to come out to install the sender anyways.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2017 at 9:50am
If it's like my super sport it will have a belly tank,just the floor needs to come out. Then the sender can come right out and you can then measure depth. Never mind this if it does not have a belly tank
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobruffner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2017 at 9:59am
I won't be able to work on this until next weekend so stay tuned for an update.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic