NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cracks in gel coat 1996 Super Sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracks in gel coat 1996 Super Sport
    Posted: November-13-2017 at 12:38am
So along with my Engine troubles in my other post, another issue that I found today was several cracks in the running surface of the boat. Most of them are elongated cracks that run around 4 or 5 ft around the trailer bunks. like this (excuse the discoloration of the hull that's just what our lake does to the gel)

and this

A few of them look more like impact.

I have tried to search for what these are and get more info but most posts of boats with similar issues are older boats with wooden stringer issues. I can't seem to find if this is something that happens on newer composite boats.

My hope is that these are somewhat superficial gel cracks for either just the hull flexing or from hitting the trailer (I am not the best at getting the boat straight on the trailer). My fear is that these point to a structural issue with the boat.

My question is where do I go from here? How do I identify the cause?

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 12:48am
also wanted to add that I believe the boat spent most of it's life on a lift before this year. Could maybe the boat wasn't properly supported on the lift?
96 Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 1:05am
I'd mark the ends of them with a sharpie & observe them next year to see if they grow. Otherwise leave this sleeping dog lie.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I'd mark the ends of them with a sharpie & observe them next year to see if they grow. Otherwise leave this sleeping dog lie.

This is what I'd probably do but the boat is for sale. I have a seller who is interested but I want to determine if these are a structural or just a cosmetic issue.

Most of the recommendations I have been reading are to grind out a spot to see how deep it goes. I guess for the purposes of a sale I'll need to get a pro to take a look?

I guess my hope was someone would say those are normal we see them all the time, but based on the lack or responses my guess is they are not normal.

96 Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 2:50pm
Paul,
My first reaction to the pictures is the condition is normal. I'd have to say there are plenty of hulls out there with the same gel cracking. Can you see any evidence of problems inside the hull?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 3:06pm
Agreed, normal we see them all the time... gel is brittle and will stress crack if flexed. I absolutely wouldn't grind into to them to see how far they go down
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Paul,
My first reaction to the pictures is the condition is normal. I'd have to say there are plenty of hulls out there with the same gel cracking. Can you see any evidence of problems inside the hull?

No, I don't think so. on the rest of the boat the condition of the gel is outstanding. Almost no cracks anywhere on the sides rear or top deck.

The bilge though does have some flaking under the engine, but this looks different to me and I feel more due to the water that tends to sit there. I don't see any signs of cracking but will take the floor out when I am back at the boat and take a closer look.

Good to know this isn't unusual.
96 Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 8:12pm
If you are in selling mode, I would just acid wash off the hull scum, reduce the price an appropriate amount & fully disclose the issue to the buyer. Once it is cleaned up it won't look so bad.

95% of buyers will grab the discount & not fix it.

Used car lots have this down to a science (except for the disclosure part, they're still working on that).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 9:23pm
I think the flaking under the engine is due to the pvc blocks they cemented to the hull for the bulge pump and water witch. I cannot get bilge paint to adhere there either. I tried acetone as a prep—oh well. Gives me something to do each winter along with other small stuff.

If you buff those areas with the cracks with gel coat polish, I bet they’re going to pretty much disappear. I saw a classic boat recently go from awful to very nice with a good polish job—almost unreal.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If you are in selling mode, I would just acid wash off the hull scum, reduce the price an appropriate amount & fully disclose the issue to the buyer. Once it is cleaned up it won't look so bad.

95% of buyers will grab the discount & not fix it.

Used car lots have this down to a science (except for the disclosure part, they're still working on that).

Well in this case the potential buyer is the one that noticed the cracks. So no need to disclose anything. I didn't know they were there. I'll tell the buyer of anything I know about. I am just trying to get a fair price and don't won't to sell anyone a problem they can't take on.

If this buyer falls through I'll keep the boat till the spring and get it all cleaned up but will point out the cracks to other potential buyers. I might try a little hull cleaner to see how it cleans up.

The sad part is the rest of the boat is in such good condition. At least the cracks are out if sight.
96 Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic