Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How I Winterize my 1993 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I Winterize my 1993 SN
    Posted: November-29-2017 at 8:16pm
I was working on a simple document to show how I winterize my boat. Seems like every year a few ask the basic questions.

Document and Link updated 07 Dec 2017

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jC8BqCaWfnJXhYlC1QscAvQ0fOEXMetk/view?usp=sharing

- FredUpdatedDocLink
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 8:53pm
Fred,
I can't get your link to work. Can you proof it for us?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:02pm
It worked for me

Highlight, right click and then I let google take me there
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:21pm
In your words Pete, a proper link

link
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 12:33am
Ken, I am starting to think Pete is up on top of the telephone pole lately posting like Oliver would have
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 1:14am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 8:52am

There have to be some people who don't have a clue what TV show you're referencing Quinner

The 2 pictures might be a slight clue
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 11:10am
With the cell service we have around here I find myself doing the same, climbing hills, ladders, tall buildings etc to get service. Often reminds me of trying to get TV service as a kid.....tinfoil and hangers for antenna while hanging in a tree.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 11:57am
First half of this thread was like deja vu all over again. I was looking for the go-pro from the paddle video.

Nice summary Fred. Best concise overview I've seen in all of the 47 annual threads we see on this.

I wonder.....

For those that feel more comfortable with adding antifreeze, should it continue with that as an option, and showing the pour vs suck method.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 12:45pm
I think it's really tough to make one all encompassing guide.

In Fred's case I think he should mention that it's a 351Ford since other engine drain plugs are in different locations.

And speaking of drain plugs, your exhaust manifold drain plugs are kinda funky. Normally there is a 3/4 inch pipe plug, yours look like somebody put something else there over the years.

I also think I'd just say to change the oil if you want to and skip the brand reference.

Can mention use of antifreeze too, especially since somebody named Fred popped a
(fill in the blank)_________plug last year.

Everybody does things a little different, so just call it something like "How I winterize my 351

Just my thoughts
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 5:36pm
Hi Fred - just a note that the exhaust manifolds have a 1/2" square drive in them, not a 3/8.... at least on both of the boats that I have serviced.    Also, no mention of a hot water shower, so I am guessing that you may not have one installed.   I like to blow out the engine block with some compressed air, and blow out the shower as well.    

one last thought for the sake of completeness - I pull the impeller now, and leave it in a plastic bag, then leave the belts loose for the alt/RWP.   

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Hi Fred - just a note that the exhaust manifolds have a 1/2" square drive in them, not a 3/8.... at least on both of the boats that I have serviced.

It doesn't really matter what you use to take the plugs out, but they're 3/4 inch pipe threads
on the manifolds and the drain plugs. There are a variety of different style 3/4 inch male pipe plugs.

Maybe just say "remove the drain plugs" and keep it simple. If somebody can't figure out what to use, maybe they shouldn't be doing their own winterizing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Hi Fred - just a note that the exhaust manifolds have a 1/2" square drive in them, not a 3/8....

Is that what the exhaust manifolds drains are called 1/2" square drive is called. The 1/2" drive socket wrench fits right in it.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 5:47pm
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 6:09pm
I updated the original post, document, and link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jC8BqCaWfnJXhYlC1QscAvQ0fOEXMetk/view?usp=sharing

DocLink
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 6:38pm
I always make sure the drain holes are clean and free of rust flakes before reinstalling the plugs.   I know someone who thought he had drained his block only to find out the hard way that some rust flakes had clogged the hole and water was still in the block.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 6:49pm
Plugs are plugs
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I always make sure the drain holes are clean and free of rust flakes before reinstalling the plugs.   I know someone who thought he had drained his block only to find out the hard way that some rust flakes had clogged the hole and water was still in the block.

People should really read their manual. This is what it states: "Probe holes with a short piece of wire to insure that all water is drained from the engine." BTW, the manuals are in the CCfan reference section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 7:44pm
Fred is writing his own manual. We won't need the CC manual anymore.    Isn't Fred the guy that forgot to drain one side of his block last year.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Plugs are plugs

I'm a couple hours behind. Happy Hour hasn't started yet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Fred is writing his own manual. We won't need the CC manual anymore.    Isn't Fred the guy that forgot to drain one side of his block last year.

Yup, Fred did forget a plug.
Originally posted by FredWSauer FredWSauer wrote:

The job was my fault. I rushed in the rain because my opening in the storage barn was ready and missed one plug.

I'd recommend the OEM manual!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Can mention use of antifreeze too, especially since somebody named Fred popped a
(fill in the blank)_________plug last year.

You guys should read the whole thread, that came up a week ago.

I can't remember for the life of me what those plugs are called.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2017 at 10:56pm

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I can't remember for the life of me what those plugs are called.

Ken-This guy suggests to use the OEM manual -

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd recommend the OEM manual!   

So I'm sure he would have no problem suggesting the OEM Parts manual -

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2017 at 12:14am
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2017 at 10:27pm
I'd say there's a place for a pictorial reference of just how the winterizing is done. It's in the manual, but the illustrations etc. are black and white and not all that great.

It sounds like there was some confusion about the size of the plug vs the size of the drive you use to loosen them. You can use any 1/2" drive tool or extension to turn them. No socket needed. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2017 at 8:32pm
Hmmm... should this go in the FAQ?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic