Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454
    Posted: December-01-2017 at 4:47pm
looking for a 454 block or complete motor for my bfn project
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2017 at 3:09pm
Noticed that your post didn't have any replies so I thought I would take a swing at it. I too have looked at converting a Fish Nautique to a 454. My research found that the PCM 454's were relatively rare in the quantities available on the used market; however, the Crusader 454 was plentiful (at least compared to the PCM) with complete engines and parts still being available on eBay. Word of caution - many of the Crusaders were used in salt water applications - I would try to find one that was either used in fresh water or that had a complete closed cooling system. Good Luck!

Steve
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 2:14pm
Crusaders are made for salt water. They are always heat exchange motors. I had a pair of them in my last boat.   They are an industrial block with 4 bolt mains. Not automotive block like PCM or Mercruiser etc.   Very buildable engines.   They are slightly heavier engines with the heat exchangers and the block being slightly heavier etc.   

Basically PCM is lake engine and crusader is salt water engine, both made by same company.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Crusaders are made for salt water. They are always heat exchange motors. I had a pair of them in my last boat.   They are an industrial block with 4 bolt mains. Not automotive block like PCM or Mercruiser etc.   Very buildable engines.   They are slightly heavier engines with the heat exchangers and the block being slightly heavier etc.   

Basically PCM is lake engine and crusader is salt water engine, both made by same company.

You should probably look at the Crusader website, you might find some engines that aren't saltwater engines

Unless you think that the engines they supply to Malibu, Axis, Supreme and Heyday are all salt water series.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 5:00pm

Crusaders are made for salt water. They are always heat exchange motors.   

I feel you need some updating on Crusader engines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 5:12pm
Crusader and pcm are now owned by same company that owns correct craft. no idea what they have done to them.   Like everything else I guess they bought a premium name and producing a lesser product.
However in a prior life they were salt water and heavy use engines.   They had cast aluminum oil pans and were heavier block engines with 4 bolt mains.   All had heat exchangers on them.

I recommend finding a model 350 which is a 454 350 hp made in the 80's. There a tone of take outs from larger boats that converted to diesel.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2017 at 5:51pm

However in a prior life they were salt water and heavy use engines.     

Steve,
I feel you need to take another look at older Crusader engines. They, just like other marinizers were building marine engines off automotive blocks. Yes, fresh water cooling was available but an option. Here's a classic Cal Cadillac Crusader;

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 10:08am
Jeff-figure a guy like you would be opting for a "572" GM motor !!
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 3:52pm
Cool engine, wonder how old it is.
Turns out crusader was started by a guy who owned a Cadillac dealership and used Cadillac motors. 1950's.
I am more familiar with Thermo-Electron/ Crusaders which were largely engines other than standard automotive.   even the six bangers had 4 bolt mains.   They were not the same as a mercruiser or other cheaper conversions. Bottom line is that the 1980's crusaders make great hot rod engines and are a great platform for rebuild for boat use.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 7:49pm

Cool engine, wonder how old it is.

1958 in a 1958 19' Streblow owned by Eric and Kathy Moberg. The Cal Caddy's were made FWF so the trans comes off the PTO weak end of the crank. Erik did manage to break one!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Crusaders are made for salt water. They are always heat exchange motors.   

I feel you need some updating on Crusader engines.

Steve

The link below is for a Crusader maintenance manual from the time period you're talking about.

It's probably one of the best most complete manuals I've seen

Lot's of good information in it.

It talks about their cooling systems and also about main bearing caps, 2 areas you;re a little misinformed on.

You really ought to read it, you might learn something about them

I'd tell you what pages to refer to but..............it'll be more educational if you find the info yourself

Crusader manual
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 11:24am
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasEngines.htm

Pretty much have always agreed with Pasco.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 11:44am
You can agree with him all you want, you should at least spell his name right though.

You can also see in the manual that they built engines with 2 and 4 bolt mains and fresh water and raw water cooling and there was nothing extra special about most any of the parts used in and on them..

Your referenced 454's came with 2 bolt mains early on and 4 bolts later on.

With their HP levels who really cares about 2 or 4 bolts?

Nobody's disputing that they're good engines, just telling you that your statements aren't quite right and giving you the manual to verify things.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 3:03pm
Will the serial number on a 454 tell whether it has 2 or 4 bolt mains?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 3:14pm
63 Skier, I suspect they do but likely the data may be hard to find.

I know the model 350 was a good block, I had a pair of them and these are the engines that Pascoe (sorry for leaving off the e) is talking about.   The next series was a model 330 which may not have the 4 bolt.   The model 350's are popular with hot rod guys because you can build them up.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Will the serial number on a 454 tell whether it has 2 or 4 bolt mains?

Short answer is........... sometimes

Longer answer, A casting number sometimes will tell you 2 bolt only 0r 4 bolt only but sometimes it simply tells you that it's either 2 or 4.

For example
casting number 14015445 tells you it's a 454 used between 1978 and 1990 and may be 2 bolts or 4
casting number 14015443 tells you it's 4 bolt 454 truck/motorhome engine used between 1987 and 1990

Anything after 1990 was the newer Gen 5 block and they were all 4 bolt mains used in trucks and in 1996 it turned into the Gen 6 with 4 bolt mains

Most any good big block Chevy reference material has a chart.

The info above came from "Max Performance Chevy Rat Motors" by the way
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 9:36pm
Honestly when was the last time you personally experienced a lower end failure in a skiboat.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 10:18pm
Like I said earlier, who really cares how many bolts ya got at these power levels
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2017 at 11:04pm
Yea well hot rodders like them
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2017 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Honestly when was the last time you personally experienced a lower end failure in a skiboat.

Many times I've cut so hard it bent the prop and put too much stress on the crank, no 2 bolt 454 can stand up to my might.

Actually I was asking because I have a stock 454 in a jet boat and someday someday might look into adding power to it. The boat is a 1986, I'll have to get the engine numbers and see what I find. Mostly just curious, nothing is happening soon on this one.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2017 at 9:36am
If you are going to build a new motor and don't have a block, makes sense to get a 4 bolt, but if you are rebuilding a motor you already have and it's a 2 bolt, it'll be fine unless you're going to have an extreme amount of hp.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 1:04pm
Steve would like this 454 since it's equipped with fresh water cooling.
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

Just posting because some of you all seem to be connoisseurs of old motors: 454 with velvet drive in Nashville

I do wonder what condition it's in considering that orange oil filter!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 2:55pm
Probably blown up if its got an orange filter.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

Probably blown up if its got an orange filter.

Maybe it would hold together if it's a 4 bolt main block?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2018 at 11:51pm
was just looking for a block, and yes it will not be stock. lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic