Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Materials for Stringer Rehab

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 7:05pm
If someone is able to demo stringers without removing the engine I would love to see that. Sounds impossible or at least a really bad idea.
'92 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Gneil Gneil wrote:

Here's a question.... Have you ever heard of any one demoing the stringers with out removing the engine ? Sounds silly, but if I don't need to I'd rather not.
G. Neil.

Originally posted by MechGaT MechGaT wrote:

If someone is able to demo stringers without removing the engine I would love to see that. Sounds impossible or at least a really bad idea.

Sounds impossible to me too.
Greg,
What's going to hold the engine in place with your idea? How would you do the needed grinding on the hull under the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 7:21pm

MW

Still have not made up my mind in the color scheme. I may just go traditional but thinking of some other options too. Hum... Plenty of time for that stuff. Also thinking of some engine mods. heads, intake manifold, things like that. First things first. (that means stringer and floor demo. I plan to do the wet grind method, complete with a catch basin and filter sys. I have a couple of ideas but thinking about building a temporary heat shrink wrap cover to climate control the elements.

Here's a question.... Have you ever heard of any one demoing the stringers with out removing the engine ? Sounds silly, but if I don't need to I'd rather not.

How everyone had a great winter so far. Spring skiing in right around the corner!
Cheers!
G. Neil.

I haven't heard of a stringer job with motor in situ.....the motor and trans is so simple to remove.....

I am also considering graphics when I get to that phase of this project....it's an '81, but I've always preferred the <'79 graphics.....

I've just done alum. heads and intake on the motor....more weight saving measures to come.....(exhaust, cooling system, etc).
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

You may be interested in looking at my thread "MUSTANG 17 REBUILD". I removed a lot of original weight and built many parts with light weight in mind. I have even built a ski pylon out of aluminum tubing that is exact replica of the 30+ pound original. It is for looks only as I would not trust it for pulling. Plans are to weigh the boat in a week or so and see what the final figure is.   Duane

Couldn't find/access this thread 'MUSTANG 17 REBUILD', but would love to pour through it...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 8:27pm
Mourning wood

You could Google "Correctcraftfan Duane in Indy Mustang 17 rebuild" or................you can take the easy way out and click the link below.

Google is your friend

Mustang 17 rebuild
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 8:35pm
Thanks for the link

Yes, google is our friend, the search button on this site...not so much.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 9:14pm
Hey there Mr. Wood,
Sounds like your motor is something I dream about, so far. Funny, I too like the '79 graphics too. For me though, I'm going to have to wait on that bit i think. love to see some pics when you have the time.

So, yes, the motor is very easy to remove " the usual way" and it makes a lot of sense. My thought is to block the motor with a temporary cradle of sorts, then remove the old stringers replace/rebuild and then remount. One could also imagine doing it one side at a time... mind you, this is not ideal by any means, but could be possible. builders and contractors underpin, brace and shore up buildings all the time in an effort to repair or replace footings and foundations of buildings. The concept is similar.

For obvious reasons, Ive also been shopping for a chain hoist too...    

G. Neil
1980 SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 9:35pm

. My thought is to block the motor with a temporary cradle of sorts, then remove the old stringers replace/rebuild and then remount.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

How would you do the needed grinding on the hull under the engine?

Just pull the engine!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 10:19pm
Hey Pete,
...??... Very carefully??

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I think grinding directly under the engine may not be necessary. Hand sanding, prep and paint may be all that is required in my case. I get it. Just have to ask though.

Sounds like you are suggesting that I buy that chain hoist I saw on craigs list then...
I may heed your sage advise...Thank you so much.

Greg.

G. Neil
1980 SN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2018 at 11:52pm
I would think that lifting the engine out of the boat would take less time than building up enough cribbing to make it safe to work under the engine.

Not to mention how many bandaids needed when you bang your head on it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2018 at 12:08am
Stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gneil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2018 at 12:49am
Alright, alright.... Ill just have to think of something else to get a rise out of you guys now..
I found a 2-ton hoist with 50' of chain for $50.- on craigs list thats now on Greg's list.

Can't wait to start. Ill take plenty of pics when I do.
Cheers to all!

Greg.
G. Neil
1980 SN
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2018 at 1:06am
Glad to hear you got the chain hoist. I’m in the middle of a stringer job now and can not imagine doing it all with an engine in there, blocked chocked or hanging. You need room. And you will need to grind under there. I look forward to seeing your project!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic