NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

93 SN - Replacement engine recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
93 Ski Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93 SN - Replacement engine recommendations
    Posted: December-20-2017 at 11:55am
Well, my 93 looks like it probably needs a new engine. The brackish water here near Annapolis, MD is tough on them and mine lasted longer than most. I pulled the heads as I had no compression in one cylinder and the machinist is telling me that there are more signs of water damage. I might be able to get away with new heads for a couple of years, but I may just do a long block to fully update the boat. Local conditions tend to mean the block will fail within a couple of years of the heads.

I see that Michigan Motorz comes up on the forums frequently. I will be looking for a 351 W, reverse rotation (my boat is one of the "base" boats from 1993).

Any recommended suppliers? I am leaning towards Michigan Motorz or Jasper.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2017 at 1:45pm
Maybe hit up Jody Seal at Florida Inboards for a pull-out used GT40 EFI motor w/PP trans. Would be a huge upgrade and you could probably sell your old 1:1 trans. A handful of folks seem to re-power their 97-01 SNs every year in order to get Zero Off speed control which puts good used GT40s on the market.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2017 at 2:02pm
How many hours are on this engine? I put heads on my old 1978 351W at 1000 hours due to one dead cylinder and it ran like new again till I sold it with 1600 hours.
Wipe your cylinders with fresh oil and a lint free towel and inspect them.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2017 at 4:31pm
Hmm, interesting concept. I will reach out to Joel, thank you!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93 Ski Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2017 at 4:34pm
Thanks for the reply. The motor has about 1300 hours on it. In this salt water environment it's more about corrosion than it is wear. I have found a set of heads and I may put it back together and see what happens.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2017 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by 93 Ski Nautique 93 Ski Nautique wrote:

Hmm, interesting concept. I will reach out to Joel, thank you!

You're mixing up your names that start with J

Joel suggested checking with Jody at Florida Inboards, so get in touch with Jody
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2017 at 6:54pm
Yes I do have a very nice GT-40 however it aint going to be an inexpensive endeavor! this GT engine has numerous new components including risers,manifolds,starter,alternator,raw and circ pumps. engine has less then 600 hours on it the only reason it has all this new components on it is cause i sold the used stuff here in the shop to low budget owners.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic