NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Painting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Painting
    Posted: January-28-2018 at 3:48pm
I made good headway yesterday on getting the trailer ready for sandblasting and painting.

The biggest challenge was lifting the Ski Nautique off the trailer. I don't have an over-head lift, so I used my 2-ton shop crane, concrete blocks and scrap lumber. The photo below shows the SN on blocks with the shop crane attached to the front lifting ring. (belt & suspenders).

Next, I pulled the bunk boards off and all the lights, reflectors, wiring and retaining clips.

From the picture below, you can see the rust and pitting.

The original trailer color is gray with teal pin-striping. The boat's color scheme is white with teal and black. I'm thinking about changing the trailer color to black. Thoughts?

Did I miss anything? Anything else I should consider?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 4:25pm
Be sure and protect the Trailer ID decal.
I did a trailer recently...removed the axle, hubs, springs/shackles, etc. so as not to contaminate with blasting media.
I think a black trailer with white and teal accents would look quite nice!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 4:57pm
Be a good time to rebuild the spring and equalizer bushings and bolts.   I just ordered a full set for my Ranger.   Got 14 wet style bolts with nuts and 14 bushings and 8 shackle straps and new equalizers all for 60 some bucks. Mine were shot. Wet style (zerks) should help out.   Ebay,   R&P Carriage
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 6:04pm
I have the same trailer on my 95 Nautique. Mine is painted white. I have had two black trailers and they look sharp but I got tired of the heat created by the black. Touching hot steel on a 100 degree day is not fun.
Stepping on the steps with bare feet can be hot also.
On the trailer front the tilt bar option on mine always rattled so I bolted it tight and now permanent. Never really used the tilt option on mine so it is now quiet.

The stop bars on that trailer like mine are not very strong.   After an accident I added a chain stop to keep the boat on the trailer in a sudden stop. The chain is wrapped in Rubber hose now but not in the picture. Our Bars bent in the accident and the boat nearly came in the back window of our car. After the accident the boat slid back but in the photo it is still about 2 feet forward of where it belonged. Since you will be in primer it is a great time to make any mods you desire.
When we worked on my trailer I picked up a bunch of old worn out tires from a local tire shop and used them to set the boat on. Caused no damage and when done I took the tires back to the tire shop. They were soft and spread out the loads.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 7:58pm
Wow!
Great idea on the chain stop...sorry it was born out of experience.
The older nautique trailers had a 'hoop' or 'bridge' connecting the bow stop vertical tubes.
Looks a bit ungainly, but probably helpful in preventing the bars from splaying apart in a sudden stop.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 10:10pm
If you can't save the OEM CC decal then check with Martymabe here in the site for replacement decals....If he doesn't have them then PaulyBanana will. Those guys are who I got my replacements from when I overhauled my 87 SN trailer.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

If you can't save the OEM CC decal then check with Martymabe here in the site for replacement decals....If he doesn't have them then PaulyBanana will. Those guys are who I got my replacements from when I overhauled my 87 SN trailer.

Not a CC Trailer.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not a CC Trailer.

ooooop..... didn't catch that it wasn't a OEM trailer...must be that I exceeded the 2 grabber limit!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2018 at 10:41pm
Too much sun or rum
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 4:18am
I should have noted that both rear straps snapped allowing the boat to come forward.
The new rear straps are much stronger than the old ones and the chain is added protection up front. I think it will stay put now.   The bunks were wet I was only about 20 minutes out of the water when we had our accident so wet bunks contributed also.
Snap a pic once you get yours painted.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2018 at 9:05am
This is a great time to go through and service or replace the wheel bearings. will be easier with the boat off of the trailer. Also, there were some good ideas concerning using star board or plastic between the finders and the hull that attached to the edge of the inter finder. Those post were within the last week or so.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2018 at 1:01pm
Update...

The trailer is at the paint shop. They will do a complete sand-blast and paint. I decided to go with gloss black. Cost is $1,200. Dang! I was hoping for a bit less, but that seems to be the going price here in Utah.

I've got all new Optronics LED lights ready to install. I'm in the process of selecting the new wheels. Current front runner is the Sendel T03 wheel.

I'll post a pic or 2 when completed.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2018 at 3:02pm
Materials price is what it is the only place to cut price is in the labor and you know how that can turn out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2018 at 5:43pm
I'm a firm believer in paying a man what his work is worth. I don't want to go cheap, but neither do I want to overpay. After seeing the finished projects from this paint shop, I'm very comfortable that his work is outstanding.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2018 at 5:58pm
Depends on where you're located too, I don't think $1200 for blast and paint is out of line in my area. I paid that much using an epoxy primer and urethane topcoat on a trailer about 8 years ago and it still looks better than one I had powder coated.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 1:04am
Here is the finished product:

This is a "crash stop" chain I installed

Maiden voyage today out with the local ski club setting up 3 ski courses.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 2:10pm
Looks good JQ ! I see you went with a different wheel as well. They really update the overall look of the trailer and the machined face helps offset all the black. A while back I saw a trailer that someone had swapped wheels to all black and in my opinion it was just too much.
When i first saw your post about repainting/ restoring your trailer I told my wife I needed to do the same, since mine was looking pretty tired. She just gave me that look ... "really??" I guess all the work on the boat itself is going to have to suffice for a while
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

She just gave me that look ... "really??" I guess all the work on the boat itself is going to have to suffice for a while

My wife refers to the boat as my mistress. When she sees me put the coveralls on, she asks: "Going outside to make love to the mistress?" Once, I responded that the "mistress" doesn't talk back except with a throaty rumble & purr. I'm hoping that with therapy and medication I'll make a full recovery.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

My wife refers to the boat as my mistress. When she sees me put the coveralls on, she asks: "Going outside to make love to the mistress?"

JQ

Too Funny !! My wife has said nearly exactly the same, many times .   But then, I'd venture to say that we are not alone in this   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2018 at 7:11pm
Not talking back is nice but not talking at all is priceless.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic