NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Galvanic corrosion risk?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galvanic corrosion risk?
    Posted: February-09-2018 at 1:27pm
Getting motor ready for '81.
Using new aluminum heads and intake, other weight-saving measures.
Question: Will I have an issue with galvanic corrosion that I need to address?
Fresh-water use only. Thx
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2018 at 10:53pm
you could use a quality zinc primer and then paint them if your worried about corrosion.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 12:14am
No
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:05am
No real risk. If you are keeping it in the water and there are electrical faults with other boats in the marina then you would have potential risk. Most of the risk comes from shore power at the dock. Your safety ground could let in stray current from another boat that has electrical issues.   Will eat your stuff up.   We had wet boats for 15 years and we use to go through zincs every 90 days at some marinas.   Problem solved once we put in a galvanic isolator.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 6:33pm
I'd be more worried for the different heating rates of having different metals on the engine while running an open cooling system.

For the galvanic current, you could use sacrifical anodes. Depending on the marinas and water you run your boat on, it can chew things pretty fast.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic