Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Engine Rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sacwake1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacwake1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 Engine Rotation
    Posted: February-11-2018 at 6:24pm
Hey guys, I need so help. I have a 1980 Ski Nautique that I’ve owned since 2005. I am the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner did some engine work to it not sure what, but it has run pretty good the past 12 years using it only a handfull of times each summer. At the end of the season in 2016 it was leaking oil pretty bad, so we did not use it last season and I was finally able to get it to a boat mechanic late 2017. I was told that compression was bad on 2 cylinders on the port side (5 and 8) and it probably was leaking past the rings. A rebuild was suggested. The quoted price was more than the boat is worth. I decided to pull the engine myself and have it rebuilt. Rebuild price quoted was $1800-$2000 and 4-5 weeks. I priced an ATK remanufactured engine at $1500 for standard rotation and $1675 for reverse rotation with an 18 month warranty. Seemed like the way to go. Since I had already pulled the engine, I’ve been trying to figure out the rotation. I tried to bump the starter to see which way is spins but I’m doing something wrong and cant get it to bump. The prop spins clockwise looking from aft forward. I read several places that 1988 and older Correct Craft used right hand rotation engines. Is this 100% true?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 6:39pm
Based on your observation of prop rotationl, you have a reverse rotation engine.

If you want to verify it for sure, pull out the distributor and look at the gear on the bottom of the shaft.

If the teeth go like this \\\\\\ it's reverse rotation.

If they go like this /////// it's normal rotation.

You might say that MOST CC's before 89 were reverse rotation.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 7:22pm
Steven,
I'd get on the phone tomorrow and see if you can change the engine to a RR.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 8:04pm
I think he's OK Pete. I dont see where he said he ordered or bought either one yet. I think that is why he was on here asking.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steven,
I'd get on the phone tomorrow and see if you can change the engine to a RR.

You're jumping to conclusions here Pete

Nowhere in either of his posts has he said he ordered the wrong engine.........although he might have

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 8:11pm
Larry
His other post in a different thread (351 re-build FINALLY underway) implies that he ordered an engine, just doesn't say which rotation.
Sacwake1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacwake1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 8:32pm
Thanks guys. I did order the RR on Thursday. I assume it has been shipped. I’ll pull the distributer tonight and check the gear.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Larry
His other post in a different thread (351 re-build FINALLY underway) implies that he ordered an engine, just doesn't say which rotation.

OK. Sometimes these things are made a little more complicated than they need to be and I just dont have the time to keep up.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Larry

OK. Sometimes these things are made a little more complicated than they need to be and I just dont have the time to keep up.

Is this a game like Where's Waldo only we're looking for a white haired guy in a long sleeved white shirt with an orange apron?
Sacwake1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacwake1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2018 at 9:49pm

Whew...looks like I'm good. RR agreed?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 12:51am
Agreed
Webster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 6:32pm
Steven,

I just went through a reverse rotation rebuild for a 1983 and also purchased a long block from ATK. I would keep the distributor, just clean it up and convert it to EI. Probably in great shape based on the use.   Mine cranked up on the first spin. New RR distributors were $700 or more.   Let me know if you have any questions on parts, I replaced everything except distributor and alternator. /Users/davek/Desktop/IMG_0875.jpg/Users/davek/Desktop/IMG_0876.jpg

David
Ski Nautiques deserve a second chance......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Webster Webster wrote:

I would keep the distributor, just clean it up and convert it to EI.
David

David,
I'm always curious as to what opinions are that influence EI conversions. What influenced your decision to go EI?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2018 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Webster Webster wrote:

I would keep the distributor, just clean it up and convert it to EI.
David

David,
I'm always curious as to what opinions are that influence EI conversions. What influenced your decision to go EI?

Pete

I seem to remember you having found an electronic ignition under the cap of your Tique after a lot of years of trouble free running, so maybe it's time to quit asking this question every time somebody talks about an electronic conversion.

Maybe they want something that was modern in the last quarter of the last century

Here's a link to a not so old thread about your EI discovery

The horse is dead.

link
Webster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2018 at 9:39pm
Pete,

I try to move with technology. I think it's probably more efficient, while at the same time, less troublesome to deal with gaping the points etc. There was a bunch of anxiety when we started the engine for the first time. I had purchased a "Flame Thrower" coil along with the EI and read several posts about changing the gap on the plugs to compensate. To my relief and excitement, the motor roared to life on the the first crank. Once we adjusted the timing, ran like a top and sounded fantastic! So far so good.

Thanks for all the input you give to us novice folks, it's invaluable!

David
Ski Nautiques deserve a second chance......
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2018 at 10:03am
David,
Thanks for responding to my EI question. Yes, without a doubt, the EI conversion makes tune ups easier. Some say their engines run better but in cases like that I suspect their engines were in dire need of a good tune up anyway. Glad you got it running and now enjoy some great time on the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic