Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cost to change damper plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost to change damper plate
    Posted: February-15-2018 at 12:33pm
I am getting ready to sell my 1978 Southwind 18 but need to replace the damper plate as I can hear a spring bouncing around in there when idling in gear.

Anyone have any idea on what the labor cost should be to have this done as i just don't have the personal time to do this.   My local shop has quoted the book rate of $900 plus - 8 hour job.   

Does this sound right?   

Thanks for you input.
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2018 at 3:20pm
What is the idle RPM? If too low (below 600) then the damper plate can rattle, even if it is good.

The quote sounds high too me but maybe they know what they are doing.

Maybe just knock off some money from your asking price & disclose the problem to potential buyers.. chances are they would just fix it themselves.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2018 at 4:12pm
DD Borg warner trans drive plate is a 3-4 hour job here at Florida Inboards inc. max would be in the $450-$500 range with driveplate included.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2018 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

What is the idle RPM? If too low (below 600) then the damper plate can rattle, even if it is good. .

Dave,
I agree with Chris. What's you idle RPM?

I also agree that the quote you got is pretty high!! 8 man hours? Have they ever done one before?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 8:08am
Holy Hockey Pucks....A Salty Sighting!

Dave PM nautiquehunter or give him a call. He might do the job for less money as he would rather work on boats then houses. Hate to see the Southwind go (not like we've seen it or you in quite some time. ) I say keep it as you NEED to be a 3 boat owner with 3 boys!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2018 at 8:44am
Dave,
I'd like to add to your shop saying it takes 8 hours to swap the plate. I wonder if they are pulling the engine and trans out of the boat? It doesn't need to come out. The aft motor mounts are disconnected, the forward mounts are loosened, the engine is tilted just enough to pull the bell housing and trans aft to get to the plate. When the plated is swapped, the bell housing bolted back up, the engine should drop back in place with minimal re aligning needed.

Find a new shop!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic