NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine storage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine storage
    Posted: March-07-2018 at 1:00pm
After I pulled motor to work on stringers, is there anything I should do to motor and those exhaust things? Noticed one had some rust or brown stuff when I took the marine hose off.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 1:45pm
If it is going to be stored more than a month, I would pour a little oil in each cyl & roll it a few times.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 1:49pm
Do you mean do to it for storage, or do to it for maintenance? At a minimum, assuming it will sit for months or more, fog the cylinders, drain the block and use a wire to see if any sand is clogging up the drains, drain and flush out the risers. I assume you are seeing rust in the risers with your comment about taking the hose off, flush them out as well as you can but that's it, assuming they are still OK.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 1:51pm
I need to check the compression so should that be done before putting oil in?
What should compression read?
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Do you mean do to it for storage, or do to it for maintenance? At a minimum, assuming it will sit for months or more, fog the cylinders, drain the block and use a wire to see if any sand is clogging up the drains, drain and flush out the risers. I assume you are seeing rust in the risers with your comment about taking the hose off, flush them out as well as you can but that's it, assuming they are still OK.

It will be sitting till I get boat done, probably months...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

I need to check the compression so should that be done before putting oil in?
What should compression read?

I'd do the compression test first, see what you have. Then, particularly if any of the readings are low, go ahead and use fogging oil or a few squirts of 10 weight, spin it over a few times, and do the test again.

As for numbers, you are looking more for consistency between the cylinders than a specific number. In other words if all of them read between 130 and 150, you're good. If all read between 110 and 130, you're still good. What you don't want to see is 7 cylinders between 110 and 130, and one reading 80 psi.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic