NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

83 New Stringers & Floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 789
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2020 at 10:02pm
URGENT REQUEST
I'm looking for more vinyl trim for carpet(Pic). I bought all one supplier had and he said will not be getting anymore. Gundriver sent me a link from Nautique Parts-bought 12 feet and it is not the same .
I need 12 feet if anyone knows where to find.
Thanks
JT
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2020 at 11:00pm
Hello
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2020 at 11:12pm
Long Time Coming -Motor going back in

jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2020 at 11:14pm
Problem- motor mounts on drivers side or off, got to figure out how to adjust mounts
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2020 at 1:28pm
Any info on replacing the O-ring behind shifter on tranny??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2020 at 2:22pm
The info in the link might work for you    

CRMav did his with a 210 O ring and still had some leakage, (not sure how much) maybe his case is scored or the O ring wasn't quite right.

I've used a 210 O ring with no leaks

link
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2020 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

The info in the link might work for you    

CRMav did his with a 210 O ring and still had some leakage, (not sure how much) maybe his case is scored or the O ring wasn't quite right.

I've used a 210 O ring with no leaks

link

Done Thanks
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2020 at 10:28pm
Question- after replacing those cutlass bearings in the strut it is really hard to turn prop shaft, do they just break in normally??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2020 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by jterr jterr wrote:

Question- after replacing those cutlass bearings in the strut it is really hard to turn prop shaft, do they just break in normally??

Put some soapy water on the cutlass and try again. If that's doesn't help, then it sounds like you need to do some more alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 1:04pm
Should one turn on each motor mount be the same travel???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 1:16pm

Should one turn on each motor mount be the same travel???

Same thread pitch so yes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 3:03pm
Here is another dealing with that shaft coupler , I got it the same all the way around with a gauge.
Question is how to get it .003 without using the nuts and bolts? I'm not strong enough to push I guess...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 3:47pm

Here is another dealing with that shaft coupler , I got it the same all the way around with a gauge.
Question is how to get it .003 without using the nuts and bolts? I'm not strong enough to push I guess...

John,
You may have missed the point of the .003". The .003 is the max difference between the faces of the couplings all around and not a specific .003. Say you measure .013 on one side and .010 on the other, then you are within spec. You are checking for the shaft to be parallel to the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 12:28am
From this angle I see a little daylight. Bolts are there for lining up holes not tight.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 8:05am
John,
I'd double check to make sure you don't have more than the .003 difference top to bottom side to side.

EDIT:
John,
I'm getting the feeling that you may not be grasping the concept? The gap shown in the picture looks to be over .003 so, if the opposite side gap is zero, then the alignment isn't good.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
You may have missed the point of the .003". The .003 is the max difference between the faces of the couplings all around and not a specific .003. Say you measure .013 on one side and .010 on the other, then you are within spec. You are checking for the shaft to be parallel to the engine.

Is the prop shaft "happy" (turns freely) in the strut and is close to center in the log where it is now?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 2:52pm
Also, is the prop on?
If not, the weight of the coupler will cause the shaft to be lower at the trans than might otherwise be. Possibly resulting in motor too low. You should have to hold the coupler up away from the floor slightly to get an initial good fit.

Once in the water and run around a bit, it will need re-adjusting.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2020 at 1:30pm
Raining here in N. Florida so time for Q & A.
Was looking under boat and noticed the prop and rudder aren't lined up, how can that be??
Suggestions on how to fix to just paint??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2020 at 2:09pm

Was looking under boat and noticed the prop and rudder aren't lined up, how can that be??

Because it was built by Correct Craft. But, you may what to check to see if the strut isn't bent and is centered. Measure from the chines to the strut center.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 9:41pm
Where does the fuel gauge get power from as it isn't working , and has a new sender. Couldn't be hooked up wrong
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 9:47pm

Where does the fuel gauge get power from as it isn't working , and has a new sender. Couldn't be hooked up wrong

From the positive feed off the ignition switch/circuit. The sender is the negative source. Grounding the sender wire should peg the gauge. Is the fuel tank grounded? Ohm it to check.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 10:03pm
John,
Here's your diagram: Have you been following it?

Considering all the problems you're having with the wiring, maybe you should just rip it all out and start over?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 10:14pm
Update on Steering Wheel Hub, not great but better than previous look
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Here's your diagram: Have you been following it?

Considering all the problems you're having with the wiring, maybe you should just rip it all out and start over?

But I'm having so much fun getting to know my Boat
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2020 at 11:22am
OK I got pics the best I could behind dash showing wiring as I remember. If you look at wiring diagram (above post) it shows AMP where I have a Voltmeter.

No Orange Wire

Behind Dash

Tach
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2020 at 2:29pm
JT

You have too many topics in different threads

The voltmeter was mentioned 4 days ago in the thread about the tach in the "engine rebuild" thread.

See the last sentence of the quote below

Seems like you're in between early and late diagrams with that boat as CC was switching to voltmeters about then.

Your 10 gauge Red wire from the harness should go to the BAT terminal on the key switch and the 10 gauge Orange from the harness would go nowhere and have no power on it..

Back at the engine the 10 gauge Orange from the alternator would go to the breaker or the starter solenoid to give the charging path to the battery with the voltmeter setup and the Orange that runs up to the dash would be cut and taped off.

It's kinda hard to explain without being there

If you had an ammeter that 10 gauge Orange wire would have power going up to the ammeter, then from the ammeter it would go to the key switch thru the Red wire you're missing
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

JT

With the gray wire hooked up to the coil(-) your reading of 11 or so volts is normal with the key in the Run position depending on the points position.

Assuming you have points, if the points are open when you turn the key to Run, you'll have the same voltage as what's going into the (+) terminal of the coil from the ignition switch.

If the points are closed when you turn the key to Run, you'll have no voltage because the coil is going to ground through the points.

If you pop the cap off and see if the points are open or closed, you'll know what you should be seeing for voltage based on the above.

The tach needs 12 volts from the key, a ground connection and then the pulse signal to give indication comes from the gray wirehooked to the coil (-). The pulse itself is that change from 12 or so down to zero volts every time the points operate.

With it pegging when the key is turned to Run, you should probably look on the back for a small switch for selecting the input. It might be inside a little hole or you might be able to see it pretty easily. Most tachs have this selector.

With a little "tweaker" you can move that switch from it's present position to the next position in either direction and cycle it back to where it was a couple of times. This will clean the contacts if they're dirty or have a little corrosion. Different tachs are labeled differently but you should find the switch in the 8 cyl position and end up with it back there too..

Then with all the wires hooked up normally, it may work again.

It won't hurt to try this. I have a tach that does just what yours does and needs this every few years or so

And then again, maybe it's just dead

If it's an electronic ignition in the distributor, all the same info pertains

Just an oh by the way....................your dash diagram shows an ammeter setup and your photos in other threads for this boat show a voltmeter next to the ignition switch so that explains your missing red wire you mentioned.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2020 at 2:58pm
Sorry I thought it was to my 83 rebuild thread. Hey at 75 I feel lucky just to be crawling around ,under and over this boat

FYI
I have the e-mail Notify checked and still not getting any notifications
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2020 at 9:36am
Here are a few before/after pics:\ well all I can get to load

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 789
  Share Topic