Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Filters and Other Subtlies

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Filters and Other Subtlies
    Posted: March-08-2018 at 11:45pm
I am reading the PCM manual for my 1999 Carbureted 285 HP 19’ 6. Under Maintenance they talk of an in-line fuel filter, and says not all manufactures installed them. I called a dealer and he did not know if my year came from the factory with one.

First Question:

Did all 1999s have fuel filters? If so where is it (how hard is it to get too) and is there a filter in the carburetor?

Second Question

If not so equipped, should one be installed, where in the line, and what type (source)?

Last Question

I hate not having a manual for toys, Is there a factory manual detailing all this that I can get?

Thanks Everyone,
Otto
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2018 at 11:54pm
First, yes - most do. If your's doesn't chances are higher that someone deleted it at some point. Where I've seen them installed, and where mine is located is aft of the engine, under the deck. A bit of a pain to get to, you'd have to pull the rear seats, pull the engine cover and then remove the rear deck ( just lifts out). The filter should be in line, probably on the port side.   As for the carb filter, you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in.

Second, if you don't have one, get one and splice it in. Maybe some will trust the marina's filters, but not me - not worth the risk.

Third, Look in the reference section (tab at the top of the page) then under the manuals icon. Lots of good stuff there to download.

Inline fuel filter
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2018 at 7:35am
Otto

Here's a link to the 99 SN owners manual from the reference section If you go to chapter 8 page 5 it'll tell you where the fuel filter is on a carbureted 351 like yours and all you have to do to find the filter is lift the engine box

The carburetor should have an inlet screen in the fitting where the fuel line hooks to the carburetor

owners manual
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2018 at 7:52am
Otto

Here's what the inlet screen looks like unless somebody in the last 19 years removed it from the fitting

It's easy to clean by taking the fitting off and it's easy to have a leak right there when reinstalling the fuel line

inlet screen

And here's a thread about that leakage problem

inlet fitting leakage thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic