Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 454 casting numbers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 454 casting numbers
    Posted: March-22-2018 at 3:20pm
Hello everyone,

I pulled the 454 out of my 82 BFN to put some new gaskets and seals in and would like to learn what there is to know from the casting numbers I have found:

PCM model #PRK WR R10 (I know the code breakdown)     Serial#1220192

Block # 14015445 Date code: E11 82
Heads # 353049   Date code: E11 82
Intake # 333841    Date code: C8 82

If I understand the date code correctly, it looks like all these components are from same year, 1982, which is what my Barefoot is as well. My engine was painted chevy orange by a previous owner and has no trace of PCM silver paint. It is counter rotation, but is it possible it may be an OMC or Mercruiser from a different boat? When I search for that intake casting #, Mercruiser keeps popping up. Does anyone else have this intake casting on a similar era BFN? It does have a PCM tag and PCM exhaust manifolds.

I was really expecting to find peanut port heads so I was surprised to see the larger port ovals. Or is this common? Both heads are stamped "PASS" but the date codes are the same. The block # seems to be typical of a marine application taken from a truck application. I haven't pulled the pan to see if 2 or 4 bolt.

What do you guys think? anything un-usual here?

Stu

1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 3:33pm
The 049 heads weren’t original, but an upgrade for sure. Sounds like the engine has been part (rebuilt?) based on paint and heads. Unlikely to be an OMC in 82, pics of the accessories, cooling system, etc. would confirm. Most likely PCM, not sure where else the ID tag would have come from. 14015445 seems to have been a common casting, I have had several. Allegedly available in 2-bolt and 4-bolt, but all of mine have been 4. Can’t help on the intake, as it’s a paper weight IMHO... but I’m betting it was a common item on the marine long blocks coming out of GM.
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The 049 heads weren’t original, but an upgrade for sure. Sounds like the engine has been part (rebuilt?) based on paint and heads. Unlikely to be an OMC in 82, pics of the accessories, cooling system, etc. would confirm. Most likely PCM, not sure where else the ID tag would have come from. 14015445 seems to have been a common casting, I have had several. Allegedly available in 2-bolt and 4-bolt, but all of mine have been 4. Can’t help on the intake, as it’s a paper weight IMHO... but I’m betting it was a common item on the marine long blocks coming out of GM.

I was hoping you would have a reply Tim! Yes, the engine was rebuilt at some point in the past so I'm told. It is definitely marinized by PCM and has the correct accessories as well, I thought perhaps the base engine may have been originally marinized by a different outfit. Its odd to me that the heads and block have the same casting date although the heads should not be original. I've attached the date code pictures for block and heads

1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 4:21pm
If it is of any help to you I have the following intake on a shelf. Used condition.
Low Rise Intake Manifold Big Block Chevy Oval Port Aluminum Intake
Can send pics if there is any interest
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

If it is of any help to you I have the following intake on a shelf. Used condition.

PM sent
1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 5:54pm
Looks like you're interested in Duane's intake manifold, but I thought I'd let you know that what you have is a stock intake from a 454 PCM.

If you look up front on the intake you'll probably find the normal rotation Chevy firing order cast into it. Same one is used on LH and RH PCM's.

It's nothing special at all.
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 5:55pm

On another note, I read and re-read your very old thread on hotrodders.com about your 454 findings. Who were you finally able to get a RR cam from? Also, did you do any further research on aluminum log manifolds? It seems as though the weight savings would be nice compared to the cast iron type but can they flow as well?
1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Looks like you're interested in Duane's intake manifold, but I thought I'd let you know that what you have is a stock intake from a 454 PCM.

If you look up front on the intake you'll probably find the normal rotation Chevy firing order cast into it. Same one is used on LH and RH PCM's.

It's nothing special at all.

Looks like I came to the right place for answers! Your confirmation and the date code confirm that it must be original. Thanks for the reply
1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 6:28pm
What are you looking for on the cam? I talked to Bob Medera recently and he is considering making up more roller blanks if there is enough interest.I have a Comp Cam replacement that's been sitting on the shelf for years. Nothing special I can text a spec sheet to you if you are interested. The heads are probably best flowing open chamber stock.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 8:23pm
*best flowing factory oval port (other than the 781). Factory rectangles flow better up top.

RR flat tappet blanks dried up a few years ago. There are very limited roller options if your timing is good- but be prepared for a $2k pricetag on the conversion.

Aluminum logs are out there on the used market and there’s a weight savings for sure. I have my doubts as to the performance benefits vs the shorty header design used by PCM.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Edelbrock Torker II 2-0

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 11:13am

*best flowing factory oval port (other than the 781). Factory rectangles flow better up top.

RR flat tappet blanks dried up a few years ago. There are very limited roller options if your timing is good- but be prepared for a $2k pricetag on the conversion.

Aluminum logs are out there on the used market and there’s a weight savings for sure. I have my doubts as to the performance benefits vs the shorty header design used by PCM.

That's a chunk of change for the conversion, did you take the plunge or still running flat tappet?
1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
StuW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2018 at 11:17am
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

What are you looking for on the cam? I talked to Bob Medera recently and he is considering making up more roller blanks if there is enough interest.I have a Comp Cam replacement that's been sitting on the shelf for years. Nothing special I can text a spec sheet to you if you are interested. The heads are probably best flowing open chamber stock.

PM sent
1982 Barefoot Nautique
PCM 454
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic