Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement Dashboard

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TigerDyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerDyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Dashboard
    Posted: April-29-2018 at 10:49am
I have a 1994 Flightcraft outboard. I would like to replace the dashboard. Any one have any suggestions of a potential source for something like this? I am in the process of re-powering with an Evinrude G2. The dashboard is in fair shape form the front however the fiberglass structure is thin and has broken in several places. The vinyl covering (which is in decent shape) is all that is holding it together. I have considered trying to add mesh and glass over the back side in an attempt to reinforce it but I am concerned about 2 things: 1. getting glass on the front side. and 2. The structure is completely broken along the bottom of the steering hole. I think this will be difficult for me to repair and have look decent

And if anyone is wondering I attempted to create an account on the MalubuCrew forum. Apparently I can't pass their background check...........
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 2:01pm
Probbly way more work than you want to do but here goes . . .

You could vacuum bag the part, that would protect what you have.

Then you can use the part to make a mold (using urethane)

Then make a duplicate part out of fiberglass.

It won't have vinyl skin, but maybe there is a faux vinyl you could spray on.

Or some teenager could 3D scan it & print it.

Really, It would be much easier to just find a spare part of out a boat junkyard.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 2:37pm
I think it could be repaired using small strategic strips of glass. Wet out prior to applying so as not to make a big mess. Take great care to plug all holes and opening with masking tape and work neatly so as not to allow resin onto the vinyl while restoring from the back.
TigerDyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerDyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 3:44pm
I wouldn't know where to start in the process of making a mold and then a new one. Am I likely to find a shop that is geared to do this? If so what sort of a shop am I looking for?

Regarding the 3d printer I do have an associate who does research with a printer. He has made things for me. However my experience has been that they aren't very durable and definitely have no UV resistance.
TigerDyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerDyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 3:47pm
trbenj, Your approach is what I initially thought of. I've done some very basic glass repairs. I can visualize making a huge mess. of this.........
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2018 at 10:18pm
Well making an entire mould would be best left to Roger UK1979.

Here is another wild idea.

Use the mating part as a partial mold.

Line it with strips of packaging tape, epoxy won't stick to it (at least 3m brand )

Tie both parts to plywood somehow, deck screws come to mind.

Pack fiberglass strips between the mating surfaces.

Best to protect appearance surface with tape also.

Cut off excess flash with a dremel, use lots of PPE there.

Good luck!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic