NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soft spot in exhaust hose.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft spot in exhaust hose.
    Posted: April-30-2018 at 8:55pm
This is for my new to me 2009 San 230 with a VR409. There is a soft spot in my exhaust hose. The hose has a bit of a soft spot in it and when I press down there is a bit of give. I am assuming there was an overheat issue at some point that cause the kink but it wasn't enough to fully collapse the pipe.

Since replacing the exhaust pipe seems like a real pain I'd prefer to not replace the exhaust hose or at least put it off until the end of season. Since the boat appears to be running fine is this something I can leave as is, at least for a few months?

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 9:48pm
Paul,
Taking the chance of the inner wall fully collapsing is yours. Personally, I wouldn't do it since it could cause more damage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 9:55pm
Where exactly is the soft spot located? My thought is if it is on a section that is laying in the bilge you can probably wrap it with some good radiator hose repair tape or the infamous Flexseal tape, IF it is on or near a bend, particularly the closer you get the the manifolds, I'd say replace it sooner rather than later.
Several years back with my last boat I had an issue with a kinked cooling hose. Luckily my wife's 'super nose' detected burning rubber before I had a melt-down. I did end up with a connecting boot after the CC that was really soft in one area and thought I could get by for a while without replacing it since I had fixed the kink and everything was nice and cool again. Famous last words. It blew in the middle of the lake during a short WOT run. I got back to shore with the aid of a roll of duct tape - Flexseal wasn't around back then - but the day was blown.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Paul,
Taking the chance of the inner wall fully collapsing is yours. Personally, I wouldn't do it since it could cause more damage.

Thanks Pete, I'll try get it taken care of this weekend.

What is the risk of the wall collapsing?
96 Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2018 at 11:46pm
A hole. Is it above the waterline? Best to have an idea just how far the boat would sink just in case your family is onboard. Then again maybe it’ll last the season.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 12:37am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

A hole. Is it above the waterline? Best to have an idea just how far the boat would sink just in case your family is onboard. Then again maybe it’ll last the season.

The entire length of hose on the 230 is above the waterline. One of the advantages of the free board on the big V Drives.
96 Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 10:17am
How close to the transom is the bad spot?

Any chance of doing a colonoscopy with a borescope?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Any chance of doing a colonoscopy with a borescope?

Chris,
You had to bring that up! I'm scheduled this coming Monday!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2018 at 4:29pm
With a vdrive you'd probably have to go in just as far too Pete. Don't let Quinner talk you into doing it for free.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 11:00am
So as far as I can tell I need to remove the exhaust riser to replace the exhaust hose. I have a few questions.

Can I reuse the riser bolts or should I replace them? Where do I get torque specs for ZR409.

Is it as simple as unscrew the bolts replace gasket and scew back on or is there more to it?
96 Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 11:37am
In the perfect world it's simple.

In the real world it might be simple or you might run into broken off bolts and ugly mating surfaces.

only one way to find out, You'll know when you do it
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 12:34pm
30 lbs is a good basic torque for these. However some risers such as the older PCM ones, you cant get a regular socket to them and due to this it is difficult to get an actual torque.
In my case I had riser leaks on fairly new OSCO manifold and risers. I found surfaces were not machined very flat therefore I worked them with flat file and flat block. Re tapped all threads and bought grade 8 bolts and tightened them with box end as evenly as I could but likely tighter than they needed to be.   Not gunna snap grade 8 very easy and for naysayers there was plenty of thread to grab after re tapping to the bottom.   
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 1:22pm
Thanks,

When replacing the bolts should I be using some type of anti seize?
96 Super Sport
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2018 at 1:33pm
yes.
I did not but should have. However I plan to take them off again to inspect and also have to pull exhaust off to re do the rocker gaskets that are leaking oil.   
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 1:47am
Here is a pic of the issue. I guess looking again it's more of a kink then a soft spot. It doesn't have much play but is bigger then I first thought.

I have ordered a riser gasket, new hose and new bolts from skidim. it should all come next week. I'll probably remove the riser this weekend. So everything is ready to get put back together next weekend or I can plan ahead in case I have any issues.

As far as using the boat goes, do you think I shouldn't run it until this is replaced?

The muffler on the boat sits above the water line and the hose is above that so the chance of sinking the boat is low but I don't want to take any risk if that is the consensus.

96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 1:51am
Anyone here removed on of these Zr409 exhaust risers before?

3 of the 4 bolts where really easy but the 4th was tricky. It's blocked from the top and one has about 2 or 3 inches clear above it. It's also blocked to the side so I need something that comes down at a 45 degree angle but with a short head.

And even if I have that how the hell do I torque it down.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 9:38pm
I was able to replace the hose today without removing the manifold.. Taking the old one off ended up being more work then getting the new one back on.

There was no identifiable damage on the inside of the old hose. No idea what the issue was. This was particularly upsetting once I had hacked it off and wasn't sure how I was going to get the new one on..

Lubed with a good amount of dawn. First side slide right on. New side was a little tricky but I was able to old the hose and work the end on slowly from an angle.

I also learned that a utllity knife does a much better jump off cutting the hose (My 230 uses the softwall hose) then a hacksaw.
96 Super Sport
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 9:54pm
Good job. At least you know that there are no issues. I hate working with marine hoses. Can be particularly frustrating.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic