NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked Muffler?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked Muffler?
    Posted: May-04-2018 at 2:08am
I pulled up the center deck aft the motor box (not sure what you call this deck, it has the removable cover in it) to replace the gland on my drive shaft. When doing this I noticed that the fiberglass pipe on one side was slightly caved in and cracked for ~8".    Now I dont know much about the mufflers but I am wondering if these cracks mean run, dont walk, to SkiDim and get some replacements? Opinions appreciated.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 3:04am
That is a below-the-waterline problem. Yes, run, don't walk. If that fails catastrophically, the boat can go down. Don't mean to be an alarmist, but it needs to be fixed.

JQ
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 11:09am
If fiberglass, which I assume they are, you can patch the crack. Would be a lot cheaper than a new one. Some sand paper, epoxy resin and glass and you would be off to the races. A dremel tool is helpful too with a sanding roll on it. At the end, if you want it to look new, slap some paint on the whole thing.
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 1:05pm
Next questions.
A: Should I keep the mufflers as a matched set?
B: Replace the rubber exhaust hose at the same time as the muffler?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by dgabler dgabler wrote:

Next questions.
A: Should I keep the mufflers as a matched set?
B: Replace the rubber exhaust hose at the same time as the muffler?

David,
Your links show up as an automotive steel muffler and a rubber garden hose??

Fix the cracks with epoxy as mentioned but take a close look at the rubber. If the hose shows any signs of deterioration and or delaminating, then replace it but note is does last for years. I have rubber exhaust hose that over 50 years old and it's sill good.
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 3:37pm
Thank you. Interesting I did not put any links in the post
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 4:56pm
post a photo.
would like to see the cave in.   

yes, grind around it and glass it.   I had a small hole in mine and did the same.

They are a hollow tube with a baffle at both ends, Not much to them.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2018 at 7:47pm

Yes, it's all part of the "new" site experience!   LOL -- No avitars, no imoji's and random links thrown in to confuse everyone. I clic'd on one earlier that sent me to a site selling table lamps and doilies
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Yes, it's all part of the "new" site experience!   LOL -- No avitars, no imoji's and random links thrown in to confuse everyone. I clic'd on one earlier that sent me to a site selling table lamps and doilies

Standard or Reverse rotation doilies?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2018 at 5:45pm
Here is the crack I was concerned about.
I have since put some glass over it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic