Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 nautique 351 and pcm 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Wenzingerm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenzingerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Wenzingerm Wenzingerm wrote:

Matt,
Now that you confirmed the ratio, I'm curious as to the engine/prop rotation.

The motor runs clockwise rotation.

If you're looking at the front of the engine, then it's a standard LH rotation. As Gary asked, a picture of the prop would be great. And as Ken mentioned, a picture of the trans would be great too.

I have pictures still trying to figure out how to upload them here..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2018 at 9:18am
Matt,
For posting pictures, click on ether the "post reply" or the "full reply editor" (the arrow icon above the regular reply). Then click the icon of the tree with the up arrow. A browse box will come up allowing you to select the picture off your computer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Wenzingerm Wenzingerm wrote:

I have pictures still trying to figure out how to upload them here..

Matt,
Have you tried the uploading yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2018 at 5:33pm
I'm kinda curious how this might have turned out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenzingerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 11:30am
I pulled the trans out and went through it and after a couple days I found the problem. When the shop rebuilt it the rear of the trans case must have had a worn spot so they machined it out and put a sleeve in right where the oil port pushes oil to the rear of the trans to push the clutches into forward so finally after it figuring out that i spun that sleeve I called the shop and that confirmed that they did put a sleeve in it. So I took it to that shop for them to put a new one in it and it’s been almost a month and I haven’t heard a work from them getting alittle impatient. Anyone heard of doing this?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 11:48am
Matt,
Sorry to hear about what you found but glad you did find the problem. When you do get the engine/trans back in the boat, make sure you do a proper strut/shaft/trans alignment. It sounds like the rear output bearing spun at one time requiring the case to be sleeved. and I'd say bad alignment was the cause. I do remember Eric, a past member who did own Fantastic Finish Marine back a few years, say he would sleeve housings at times but he wasn't specific to where or what brand trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 12:06pm
Have you talked to them since you dropped it off?

Here's a fairly recent post from the guy running the place now talking about customer service

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenzingerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Have you talked to them since you dropped it off?

Here's a fairly recent post from the guy running the place now talking about customer service

link

Yeah I have called a couple times since I dropped it off going to be month this Thursday. Wouldn’t say the service has been the best. Just wanting my trans back now thinking about going to pick it up and take it to a different shop if I don’t hear from him by the end of the week. Last week when I called in to just check on what was going on and how it was going I was told to quit calling and I’ll give you a call when it is done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenzingerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 8:29pm

Matt,
Sorry to hear about what you found but glad you did find the problem. When you do get the engine/trans back in the boat, make sure you do a proper strut/shaft/trans alignment. It sounds like the rear output bearing spun at one time requiring the case to be sleeved. and I'd say bad alignment was the cause. I do remember Eric, a past member who did own Fantastic Finish Marine back a few years, say he would sleeve housings at times but he wasn't specific to where or what brand trans.

Yes I do agree this was caused from a bad alignment. the cause was the motor and trans came out of a boat with bad stringers in it, causing the motor to twist and throw it out of align. I’m hoping when he put the trans back together he will go through and check it out but I do have a question concerning the control valve assembly. Okay so I relized that how the valve has the pressure relief with the sting on it. I was reading that added washers are shins are too change the pressure. They are reccemending Atleast two washers and mine had 0. Not sure if I should put some in or what pressure the trans should exactly be having internally? Thank you for all the help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 9:13pm
Matt,
Hopefully FFM will test the trans. Eric used to chuck his up in his lathe and spin them. I feel that's the time to check the pressure of the pump and add washers for the correct pressure if needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 9:59pm
Do you have a PCM manual for the 40 series transmissions?

If you don't and you click on the link below, then you will

Pages 6 19 and 22 might come in handy for pressures and shim info

Courtesy of the good people at Ski Dim

link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenzingerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2018 at 2:09am

Matt,
Hopefully FFM will test the trans. Eric used to chuck his up in his lathe and spin them. I feel that's the time to check the pressure of the pump and add washers for the correct pressure if needed.

I’m about fed up with FFM they have had my trans for a month and haven’t even gotten around to doing anything with it after we quoted me a week and $70 to put a new sleeve in it. Haven’t heard from him since

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenzingerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2018 at 2:13am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Do you have a PCM manual for the 40 series transmissions?

If you don't and you click on the link below, then you will

Pages 6 19 and 22 might come in handy for pressures and shim info

Courtesy of the good people at Ski Dim

link

Yes I have the manual and I’ll have to go a lot more reading to do it myself. Does anyone know of anyone else that would be able to sleeve a trans with a pretty quick turn around? Not real worried about the price I really sit want to get my botul and running. Joe at fantastic finishes has had my trans for a month and hasn’t gotten a chance to touch it or get it stopped off at the shop to get the sleeve put in and I’m getting alittle bit annoyed
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2018 at 8:40am
I noticed that he was logged in last night, but obviously didn't reply to this thread.

It sounds like an in person conversation is needed, then you can walk out with your parts if not satisfied.

It also sounds like he was the middle man and was gonna drop it off at a machine shop to get the sleeve repair done from what you said above. It seems like you could do that

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenzingerm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2018 at 9:17am
I sent him a message last night hoping to figure it out soon. But if anyone has a pcm 40 1:1 case for sale or a parts trans for sale I am interested
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2018 at 10:58pm
I have a trans that I want rebuilt . Just out of curiosity , is FFM on the good or bad list these days ? From what I gather they were at one time top notch but lately seems like they have become kind of laxidasical . Am I right with my statement ? Thought ?
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic