Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mooring Chain

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mooring Chain
    Posted: May-05-2018 at 7:58am
My boats stay on moorings. To prevent chaffing, there is a 4 foot section of polyethylene pipe around the chain. The pipe needs to be held down so it stays where it is needed. Historically, I've passed a bolt through a link in the chain as a stopper. The bolt has large washers so it won't slip through the link in the chain. I use a lock nut so it won't twist off. On my Nautique mooring, the bolt has been there from the beginning. On my sailboat morning, the bolt falls off every summer. I've used new lock washers each time.

Any ideas about another way to secure the pipe?
Jim
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 8:07am
Originally posted by winniskier winniskier wrote:

. I use a lock nut so it won't twist off. On my Nautique mooring, the bolt has been there from the beginning. On my sailboat morning, the bolt falls off every summer. I've used new lock washers each time.

You use lock nuts on the Nautique and lock washers on the sailboat??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 10:12am
The pipe prevents chafing of what? The chain on the bottom?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2018 at 11:55pm
I use lock nuts on both bolts. The pipe covers the chain where it drags on the bottom, and lifts and drops when with the wave action on the buoy.
Jim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 7:13am
Jim,
Double nut the bolts one being a "jam" nut. It worked for many years before the nylon locking nut was invented.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 11:32am
Interesting...never seen that done before. The chain does get thin in that spot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 6:49pm
I will likely try the double nuts. I used stainless steel chain the last time I changed it to see if it would last longer. The guard is common for the mooring company that sold me the the chain.

I might try using a carabiner instead of the bolt.
Jim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by winniskier winniskier wrote:

I might try using a carabiner instead of the bolt.

Jim,
I wouldn't trust the carabiner because the connecting section to me rather flimsy and with all the movement I think would wear and then open.

How about a D ring. "Locktite" the connecting nut. They are available in stainless and lots of sizes at McMaster.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2018 at 11:24pm
Good idea Thanks.
Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic