NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

running temp. carburated 351w

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: running temp. carburated 351w
    Posted: May-10-2018 at 1:18pm
Review of another post brings this question to mind.

I always wondered why the 140 thermostat for the carbureted 351w engines.   I would think the 160 to 170 would be a better range. I seem to remember all my other boats ran in this area, at least the Crusader 454's did.   

Any thoughts and experience with raising the temp?
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 1:38pm
I've been running 143 degree stats forever, never an issue.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
WakeskateNW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2018 at 11:51pm
My local nautique dealer does not stock nor will sell me the 143 thermostat for my 89’ SN. It may not be the preferred part among forum members here but I have been running the 160 since last season with no known issues.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 2:34am
According to the PCM parts manual the 351w was offered with both. Don't know what the difference was - climate maybe?   Year or fuel/ ignition type maybe? Makes me wonder which one mine is suppose to get now.... Had been running the 143, which seemed fine.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 11:10am
It is my understanding that fuel injected engines prefer the 160,carbs the 143.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 11:53am
Good to know Gary, I never could find a distinction. I bought a replacement for mine last year at Nautique Parts and if memory serves the 143 is what was indicated so that's what I got. I'll have to order the correct one now.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 12:49pm
You don't need to go to a nautique dealer to get a thermostat.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Good to know Gary, I never could find a distinction. I bought a replacement for mine last year at Nautique Parts and if memory serves the 143 is what was indicated so that's what I got. I'll have to order the correct one now.

Don't trust your memory, read the number that's stamped on it and see what it says

If you read the Nautiqueparts website description you would have bought a 160 last year.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 1:55pm
is there any benefit to going up to 160 on these engines?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

is there any benefit to going up to 160 on these engines?

No
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 6:49pm
I was told the original reason for the 143 thermostat was the engines corroded faster at higher temps in marine applications.   This may have originally related to salt water cooling applications, I don't know for sure.
Engines actually perform better at 195 for emissions but you need a closed cooling system to maintain that reliably.   Passenger cars all use this as base temp now.
The 143 has proven to work fine for boat applications and allows some wiggle room against overheat when you work it really hard.
I would stay with the factory set up.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Don't trust your memory, read the number that's stamped on it and see what it says

The original thermostat I took out had no stamp or markings ... one of the PO's must have used a generic Chinese replacement or something.   I did get it from NP, but in all honesty I'm not entirely sure what I typed in for the search - could have just grabbed the first one that said 351w   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

The original thermostat I took out had no stamp or markings ... one of the PO's must have used a generic Chinese replacement or something.   I did get it from NP, but in all honesty I'm not entirely sure what I typed in for the search - could have just grabbed the first one that said 351w   

Who cares about the one that came with it?

You're saying you don't know what you bought from Nautique Parts, you think it's a 143 so why don't you look at what's stamped into that one?

Here's a visual aid
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 11:41pm
Ha ha ... funny funny
No Ken, guess I didn't explain it right.
What I was meaning was when I first replaced it early last fall, I looked at the one that came out of it for that "visual clue" but it was not stamped - Chinese or whatever - and that's why I just typed it in the search bar at NP, but apparently got the wrong one.
So, now you can razz me about reading the ENTIRE description before adding stuff to the cart    
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 12:04am
So the one you have now must be stamped 143.

Not razzing (this time anyways)

It sounded like you weren't sure what you had now and I figured you could look at the stamping.
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 12:28am
Yep - because it's the one I bought from NP to replace the old generic one that the boat came with.   Nothing wrong with it ... only ran it 3 or 4 times in the fall. But knowing now that it's not the right one, I'll get the correct one in there.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 12:39am
Have I got a deal for you Joe

I'll trade you a brand new 160 PCM thermostat for your "lightly used " 143 if you want.

I'll throw in a gasket too

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic