NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plastic strut bearings

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic strut bearings
    Posted: May-14-2018 at 1:03pm
Has anyone installed these? They are difficult to drill a dimple into them for a set screw. Is it needed? Is there are better way like maybe using heat to melt a dimple?
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 1:18pm
drill bit worked fine. Put some locktight on the grub screws because you cant tighten them much.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 3:28pm
Bruce,
Maybe you should sharpen the drill bit. Seriously, the set screws should be cup point and the plastic is soft enough so a dimple isn't needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce,
Maybe you should sharpen the drill bit. Seriously, the set screws should be cup point and the plastic is soft enough so a dimple isn't needed.

negative on that solution those things flex pretty easy, putting the set screw in against them without a dimple will deform them and keep them from turning, or leave the screw with too few threads engaged to lock - a dimple is good idea.   I don't remember having any problem drilling one - so I agree on the sharp bit routine
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 6:04pm
I used the plastic strut bearings on mine 3 years ago. Working fine so far with very little drag on the prop shaft. You can easily spin the shaft with one finger on the prop.
When it came to the set screws I did not like the way they fit either. I played with a few options and then drilled a hole in the strut bearing at the set screw location.
I ran a tap through the hole so my set screw could screw into the plastic.
I used red Loctite on the threads and put the screw into place making sure to not allow it to touch the shaft.   It has worked fine for three years but I did not like any of the options when it came to this job.   
On a do over I think I would have purchased small screws rather than the allen head original screw and cut the screw length so it would install about 75% into the plastic. Then I could have tightened till the screw head bottomed on the strut while still using Loctite on the threads.   I liked the new bearings and the way they function. I was not comfortable with the set screw set up in plastic.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 6:21pm
Well, I broke open a new set of drills and it cut right into the plastic and made a nice dimple. Last time I installed one I had new drills, but they would not cut that stuff. I did use Locktite as you can't torque down on them very much. Thanks for the tips.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

On a do over I think I would have purchased small screws rather than the allen head .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Last time I installed one I had new drills, but they would not cut that stuff.

Bruce,
You must have bought the bits that were in the discount bin! Do you have a bench grinder? If so, have you tried sharpening the dull bits?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 7:04pm
No bench grinder Pete. Maybe someday. Would like to have one and a drilled press and an abor press and....We need more room 1st.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic