Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blown PCM Excalibur 330

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blown PCM Excalibur 330
    Posted: May-14-2018 at 7:26pm
Posting for my dad:

Last year the family 2004 SN 206 engine blew up. GM 5.7 vortec marinized by pcm. 330 hp. Had 2200 hours when the hour meter stopped working 10 years ago so not looking to rebuild. Hull is in decent shape but definitely not worth putting a new engine @ ~$10k. Looking for a used replacement. He has someone who is capable of retrofitting another engine in terms of mounts and controls etc.

Anyone on here have a used engine for sale? Input on retrofits using other marine engines?   
1976 Martinique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2018 at 9:49pm
How about a new long block or a rebuilt one? Not recommending these guy's but just showing an example of what is out there. You could then just transfer the parts you need from the engine you have intake,exhaust electronics,pumps etc. Should then fit with no mods or changes.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 10:39am
So if the hour meter only worked for 5 seasons that's about 400 a season which would put it at approx 6000 hrs today, if the math is correct very impressive!!

Sure seems to me it would be much easier to replace like/like as Gary mentioned above.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 10:48am
If you are looking to be super cheap about it ( I am not one to judge believe me) go to www.car-part.com plug in a 99 chevy Tahoe and start looking for low mileage running pull out engines - get yourself a manual and start swapping over the marine parts.   A few hundo in gaskets and fluids on top of what they get you for the engine and you will be back in the game.   Don't let any naysayers tell you it wont work or that the engines are different cause they are marine.   Probably wont save you more than 1000-1500 over a rebuilt longblock but its something.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 10:51am
Thanks Gary. That was what I was looking for. I’m pretty sure the engine has electronic ignition and is definitely fuel injected. Do you think he would be better off going with a carb and distributor setup? Does the ECM control both the ignition and fuel injection?
1976 Martinique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by wiscofoot wiscofoot wrote:

Do you think he would be better off going with a carb and distributor setup? Does the ECM control both the ignition and fuel injection?

Unless that stuff is broken absolutely do not spend money going backward to a carb and distributor - the money spent on a carb and distributor should buy enough Excalibur replacement parts to keep it going another 15 years.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2018 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

So if the hour meter only worked for 5 seasons that's about 400 a season which would put it at approx 6000 hrs today, if the math is correct very impressive!!

Sure seems to me it would be much easier to replace like/like as Gary mentioned above.

It was used as a show boat in the 2000s and we also provided it for a Catholic boys camp on our lake. Then all of the daily (nightly) personal use for 4 boys and friends and cousins.   The use decreased in recent years but we got our money’s worth out of it. It would be a candidate for parting out if my dad didn’t have so much sentimental attachment. He’s working on a deal with the guys at Michigan motorz to have them deliver the engine when one of them takes a camping trip up north.
1976 Martinique
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 9:01pm
Wanted to update you guys on this.

My dad got the 5.7 long block from Michigan Motorz for a little over 2k delivered and had a neighbor do the full swap and “marinization” with all the PCM parts for $400 labor plus a little love to skidim for some overnighted exhaust gaskets and hose. Purring like new. The mechanic is a wizard but never touched an inboard so I sent him straight to Pete’s 101 video to line it all up.    Now I don’t have to haul the Martinique on weekends up north so everybody wins.

Thanks from my family to the CCF community.
1976 Martinique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2018 at 9:42pm
Good to hear glad it worked out
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic